Update & question: MPG - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 11:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Update & question: MPG

It's warmer here. Last few days (actually, since my last gas-fillup), the temp is at some 0 or 1 deg C (it's water freezing point, I don't have the converter on this PC [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]). And it gets warmer during the day, with some sun & similar. Cold enough to sit outdoors for the 1 o'clock coffee break (NOT in a T-shirt, but with a sweater or lighter jacket it's comfortable). Some 10-13 deg C (still no converter [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]).

Apparently my MPG ratio has gone WAAAAAY back! In fact, so much better that I'm thinking if there's something wrong. Usually, when I fill it up to the top, the gauge points beyond the full mark. But it used to go down to the "FULL" mark after some 40-50 km of city driving (should be some 25-30 miles - still no converter [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]).
Now, since it went warmer, I did 94 km (almost 60 miles) and the gauge is still above the full mark. Not all the way above, it did come down a bit, but still over it.
The pointer does go up & down if I accelerate a bit stronger, or I brake a bit harder (did that to check it). So, it does move.
Also, I still get, after those (more or less) 60 miles, some gas out of the tank tap. I've put a key-tap on, to avoid sugar & similar sh!t in the tank, and when it's full (but FULL) and the Jeep rocks, some drops do spray out. But it (usually) gets normal after driving a bit, consuming some fuel.
Now, it still sprays out a bit. I wipe it clean and after 3-4 miles of ride I check it and there's this oily spot just under the filling pipe. Smells like gas.

Is it possible that the MPG gets SO MUCH better with just a little bit of sun & warm weather?

I guess my gauge works, 'cos it goes up & down (accellerate-brake). There IS a lot of gas in the tank 'cos it sprays out. So it must be OK.
Still, with my last measurements, in those 60 miles I should have consumed approx. 4-5 gallons of gas. And it still sprays out!
I mean, to get down from some 4-5 gallons every 63 miles to a half or so? Sounds too good to be true.

The engine? Runs normal, like before. No change at all. Only it gets to the working temp in half the time it needed before. Or even a bit faster.

Could it be all right? Could it be normal? Oh please tell me it's true! [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 05:17 PM
Old Hand

Re: Update & question: MPG

To try to use a fuel guage to see what your gas mileage is doesn't work. Check it after fill-ups.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 07:31 PM
Veteran

I am not positive but I think the warmth has a big effect on gas milage. In the 0 - (-20) I have been getting 4 mpg, but before I think it was 7.5 anyhow I do believe it effects it a lot. My friends car gets about 100mpg less to the tank I know that. some of it is probally from warm up but I think there is a big difference. At least I hope there is. I need to get at least around 10. or I will be buying a car as a daily driver.
<Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2003, 09:46 PM
legrosteve

Make sure your choke is opening up when it is cold out.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2003, 10:54 PM
balanced

Well I don't know,
I seem to get about 11 mpg year around w my 84 cj. It has a 304 and a 4 speed w/33's.
I need to tune the carb but don't think it will make much of a difference.
Gary
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2003, 12:17 AM

My nuttered 258 get around 9.5 mpg at about 0-35(F) and 12 after it warms up to 40 and above.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2003, 12:46 AM
Old Hand

Anybody see a connection here...Our gas mileage drops and gas prices go up. [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] <font color="red">"Oil Companys"</font color>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode