MSD 6AL, should I? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 11:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

MSD 6AL, should I?

Dear Board:
I am contemplating my next jeep project. Auto Zone has a MSD 6AL in stock for $199. I am thinking about picking it up and installing this weekend. I have done the Nutter bypass and the TR TFI upgrade. The Weber is running great after the fuel pressure regulator was installed. Course she still spits oil all over the valve cover, but that is a different issue. The puke jar has cleaned up the exhaust some.

Would the MSD 6AL be a royal pain for a pseudo-mechanic? Do I need to buy any special adaptors to get to my stock style distributor or anywhere else? Does the MSD come with good clear instructions?

Once again any help is greatly appreciated

Sharps

As a side note, I had a brand new stock ignition module die while it was at the mechanics a week ago. He had replaced the distributor (leaking oil) and it wouldn't start. I had put that module on during the Nuttering a while back. It is always something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 11:52 AM

Re: MSD 6AL, should I?

Read this thread and mark it for your favorite! I did!

http://bbs.off-road.com/ubbthreads/s...amp;PHPSESSID=
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 11:53 AM

The 6AL system on my Jeep was in it when I bought it. It worked without fail 4 yrs. Then one morning it
would`nt start. After going through all the diagnostics I determined the box was bad. I replaced it with
a new one, Still would`nt run. Got into it further and found the ignition switch was bad [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]. Now I
have a spare box [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. I like the system alot. The new box came with very good installation instructions
and all nesassary hardware. One plus that I really like is that if the box does go bad, You send it back
to MSD and they will repair it for $65.00 period. I think thats a pretty good deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 06:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well the MSD 6Al that was available locally is not now. I am going to have to order one. Does anyone have a recommendation for a preferred supplier for this type of part? On the rifle board we had a few suppliers that were a real positive force for the participants. If I could, I would like my business to go to a similar outfit here. I hear Summit Racing mentioned, would they be the guys?

Thanks,

Sharps
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 07:36 PM

Try Jegs as well. I seem to recall their price was better at one time.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 08:12 PM

I would go with Jeg's. Seems easier to find stuff on their site as opposed to Summit and shipping is fast and cheap. I would suggest getting that Duraspark adapter (jeg's Item# 121-8869) If you still have the Duraspark distributor. The MSD part# is simply PN 8869 if you're looking elsewhere. The instructions for my 6A were great and there's more than enough info in the archives to answer any questions you might have. I think the toughest part of the whole install was deciding on a mounting location. Good luck! [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 08:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks all, I have the Motor Craft? distributor. My jeep is the '84. I think the '83 and older had the Duraspark. Do I need an adapter for my distributor or just splice in the MSD?

I'll check Jegs and see what they have.

All the best,

Sharps
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 10:05 PM

You can just splice it right in, but you need to first determine which way to hook it up.

I went with eliminating the duraspark module alltogether and used the pickup/trigger inside the distributor. (this is not the emissions friendly version)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 10:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah, go for it. Use the middle diagram posted above. Using the distributor pigtail adapter makes it easier. If you splice, just make sure you mate the wires correctly. Dist Orange to MSD Purple, Dist Purple to MSD Green. You'll love the way she drives with the MSD [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2003, 02:06 PM
Way Outta Control

1. It will give an increase in effeciency of the fuel used.
2. Then you'll save money on fuel.
3. Work out the payback at the current fuel price..
4. Before the prices go back down,
5. The upgrade may even pay for itself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode