Sun Bleached Fender Flares - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Sun Bleached Fender Flares

I have a 98' Wrangler Sport with stock fender flares that were black but now they are a ugly grey color. I was just wondering how hard it would be to paint them?? What kind of paint I would need to use and what kind of prep work i need to do before i paint them?? Thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 08:31 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Sun Bleached Fender Flares

They make a vinyl paint (really a dye) that works great on any interion vinyl or plastic.....seat covers, dashes etc. that should work great on your fenders. I've gotten it at auto parts stores before. As for prep, I'd just clean with steel wook, wash and then paint.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 12:14 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Meguiar's makes an excellent rubber and vinyl protectant that should bring out the black again with a couple of applications. I used it on used flares. It took 2-3 applications, then used it about 2 months later to stop more detioration. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 02:48 PM
85Jeepny

I have also seen people Rhino Line them...looks really good and makes them pretty strong...just a thought..
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 02:57 PM

From my personal treasure trove of cheap tricks...

rub in some used motor oil. Brings back the black, and is something you have lots of anyway.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 03:07 PM
JeepSage77

I had the same problem: Rustoleum black satin finish spray paint made them look brand new. you dont even have to take the flares off - just slide a sheet of newspaper in the gap between the flare and the body. i think the key with any of the products is to just spray a light coat on the flares so you dont have to worry about cracking/peeling paint. As for prep, just wash them with some warm soapy water. I did mine 2 years ago and they still look great.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 03:11 PM
Billybob015

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
rub in some used motor oil. Brings back the black, and is something you have lots of anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like this would be a pretty temporary fix. How often do you have to reapply?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 03:17 PM
Addict

forget all those [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img] little tricks like motor oil [img]images/graemlins/lame.jpg[/img] and other rub on crap [img]images/graemlins/spank.gif[/img]. PAINT 'EM. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
1)isn't hard- any moron can apply spray paint
2)it's cheap- $2.00 and your problem is solved
3)with the right paint, its near permanent

Myself, I used engine enamel on my CJ's flares when i first got it... 2 years ago. they have NOT been repainted since. and you get your choice of glossy black or flat balck. The other option is flexible bumper paint that I used on the Rodeo's bumpers... looks good and no fading yet. Both are available at your neighborhood Discount Auto.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 03:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I make sure I lean on rocks and trees. Scrape the ugly unsightly top layes off. When flares fall off I buy new ones. HEHEHHE.

What about Mothers back to black????
http://www.epinions.com/auto-Care-Al...splay_~reviews
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 03:51 PM

Lame? Feh. [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img]

Yes, it is temporary, but it lasts longer than you might think. I re-apply about every 3000 miles or 3 months, when I happen to have about 5 quarts of used, warm motor oil lying around [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] It also makes sense chemically. The solutions like Mother's and such make even more sense and are better suited to the task, but of course they also cost more than nothing (which is what I prefer to pay for such an unimportant task).

I tried the painting thing a number of years ago (on a different vehicle), but regardless of preparation couldn't get it to stop trying to flake off or scratch off on branches or rocks. I thought it was a lot easier to rub them every few months with an oily rag than prep, paint, and reprep and repaint every time they got a ding.

I'd think the bedliner on them would be more durable than paint, but of course that stuff tends to hold dirt tight and (depending on the make) can fade even worse than the standard plastic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode