kinda OT - what to do with this car, bad engine ?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

kinda OT - what to do with this car, bad engine ??

hey guys,

thought i could use yur wisdom for a few mins,

my sisters car (98 dodge neon = junk) chewed up its motor, she can get it fixed for 4300, or get a junk yard motor for 3000ish after the install.....anyways...neither option is any good right now cuz neons are junk and it will prolly break again..

so ya got a car which is cosmetically perfect but the engine is junk...what do you do with it???? trade it at a dealer? auto wrecker??

whats the best approach for getting rid of it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 01:02 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: kinda OT - what to do with this car, bad engine ??

1. Donate it to a:
a. H.S. or
b. Vocational School shop class or,
c. Chairity or,
d. Church organization that refurbishes cars
2. Take the tax deduction for Fair Market Value, or
3. Part it out...
4. A Wrecking yard won't give you much for it...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 01:20 AM

Re: kinda OT - what to do with this car, bad engin

Get rid of it fast and cheap...I like Leve's donate it to a HS program idea though. That 2.0 is a very [img]images/graemlins/lame.jpg[/img] engine. Picking up a new rocker arm for my wife's '97 Breeze (same engine) tommorow--80,000 and it has a collapsed slack adjuster on the arm. I won't even go into what else this rig has had problems with. Last DC car I buy (the trucks and jeeps do fine--it's just their cars that suck). It's getting traded in next month on a Ford most likely, maybe a Toyota. Cut your losses, get rid of it, and have her get something real! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 01:30 AM

Donate the car and take a tax deduction. Everybody is happy (you recoverd most out of the car with list headache) and helped somebody (maybe even help train 'little' wrenches).
Parting out is a pain, unless you haave a place where to stor it and a lot of time, and with wrecking yard you (most likely) won't recover as much $$$. At least that is what I would do
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 08:12 AM

...you can give it to me [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I don't think they are junk. I have a Neon w/2.0 - 195k and going strong. It was little neglected by the PO and the hood & trunk & couple doors are rusty. Actually, I was a little impressed with spunk of the 2.0L when wound past 4500rpm... even for an engine w/over 150k. Except for the Neon head gasket issue, this car has never had problem. Local school also uses Neons for driver education w/o problem.

It can be repaired for less than $3k.
Check out the technical and for sale bbs here Neons.org - you will be able to find help with repair or you will be able to find someone interested in purchase.
Also, donating to HS or vocational school automotive program is a great idea. A bunch or 18 somethings would love the chance to dig in on one of these ...think - kinda like a pimped out Corvette Summer for the new millennium... with carbon fiber, blue neon lights & ricepopping growl instead of fiberglass, candy apple red & V8 rumble ...hmmm Would Van-essa have to drive a customized mini-van?
[img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/censor.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 10:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

$3000 to put in a junk yard 2.0 huh. look on car-part.com they sell em all day for around $500 surely you could find somebody to swap it for $500 (which is outragous its a days work). thats $1000. or less
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 06:05 PM

Dude $3k to $4k????? [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img] You can get better prices. We sell these engines all the time for $250 to $750 depending on miles. Good lord man..........it's a 98. Fix the darn thing. Those engines are as easy as any today to change.
Maybe I'm just too poor to think about junking that new of car in good condition, or maybe too cheap to think about loosing several thousand dollars.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2003, 09:17 AM

Might want to try and put it in the paper for 3 grand with the bad engine and see if anybody bites. I would do a search on car-part and find an engine cheeper, go pick it up your self and drop it off at a reputable reapir shop. If you figure the shop is charging you $1000 for a junk yard engine and then $60 an hour for labor that means they think it will take 33 1/3 hours to complete taking an engine out and bolting a new one in, seems like way too much time for me and way too much money. I would shop around and find some where that's honest with you and won't rape you. I'd just go around to different shops that are pretty repuitable and ask them if you brought them a good motor to put in how much would they want just for labor and i bet it will run you much less than you think and you could probably do it for under a 1500 to 2 grand. The yard i'll probably get your 8.8 has 2 soc and 3 doc any where for $500 to $700 and i could pick one up for you if you want me to, those engies are plentyfull so you should be able to find one with out much trouble, car-part.com is your friend.

Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode