mixing wide and narrow track axles on same Jeep? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 11:07 PM
BigUgly

mixing wide and narrow track axles on same Jeep?

On my old `73 F/S Blazer, "The Big Ugly", the front axle is about 5 inches wider than the rear axle. My question is, would work on an old CJ5? I think that you would gain better turning radius, and the tires would make their own tracks in the snow or mud. With a wider front end would these CJ5s track better and handle better? Come on somebody out there has tried it at least once. Thanks,

TheBigUgly [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 09:18 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: mixing wide and narrow track axles on same Jeep?

I've heard about a guy in our club that ran this combo for a while without even knowing it. I guess the previous owner had swapped in this setup. Mel85CJ knows more about this than I do. Maybe she can explain it further. The guy did not experience any problems, but I don't know if he gained anything like your asking about or not.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 10:27 AM
MNT
Addict

It should gice a better turning radius. Think of those little 3 wheelers with the single wheel in back. Same basic concept (although to an extreme).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 10:27 AM

If you like to corner fast, near the point of sliding the tires, you will probably get some strange handling dynamics. In a Jeep? Is he NUTZ?

As for the tires following separate tracks, I had a really bad experience in my Chevy shortbed 4X4 trying to follow a bunch of Jeeps and rally cars down forest trails in a foot and a half of snow. The track of the Chevy was about a foot wider than between the centers of the ruts, and the tires would just barely fit between the outsides of the ruts. When either front tire kissed the edge of a rut, it dug in and tried mightily to turn that way. That's when I decided to get another Jeep.

I would think that having the tires follow in the same tracks would be a distinct advantage in most cases. Just a guess, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode