Amc 20(detroit locker) and Dana 30(EZ locker) ??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 10:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Amc 20(detroit locker) and Dana 30(EZ locker) ???

ALright guys. Hello once again. Ok..i'm about to drop some serious money into my jeep. We're talking around 1000 dollars.. I just bought the amc 20 and dana 30 widetrack axles for my cj-5. I am getting ready to add a Detroit locker to the rear, an EZ locker to the front and 4.88 gears in each. What do you guys think about this setup?? any of you run this or not?? Also i'm putting in solid one piece (moser or superior) axles as well. I need some feed back here. I am kind of hesitant b/c i also own a 2001 F-150 4x4 super cab. I'm in a toss up b/w lifting it 5 inches and putting 35's or 37's on it and doing this big upgrade to my CJ. Let me know what you guys think.. ANyone running this combo, advice??? thanks guys

Luke [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 09:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Amc 20(detroit locker) and Dana 30(EZ locker) ???

can't anyone help or give me some advice?? [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 10:10 AM

I think your setup will be fine, but you have to appreciate the limitations. Lockers front and rear will be excellant off road, but make driving in 4wd on snow covered streets more challenging owing to the front locker especially. Also, the Dana 30 front end is not particularly heavy duty and will need to be baby'd unless you like limping home. NO more bonzai attempts to make the obstacles. If you can't crawl up it, don't take a mad wheel spinning launch up it (as I have been known to do). I don't have a front locker, and haven't added one to my jeep for this reason. I know that if you drive hard with a front locker you will take out axles and u joints. The dana 30 uses the small u joints unless you upgrade the axles as well. You have to adapt your driving style to compensate or suffer the consequences of breakage. With an open front diff, I have enjoyed a lot of off roading and no breakage (of the front end). I would consider a selectable front locker as it would allow me to drive on the street in 4wd as I often do. And I wouldn't put that kind of money into a dana 30. The amc20 rearend will be fine as long as you don't go overboard on tire size or horsepower, and understand that even with one piece axles it still will break (twisting axle tubes is the most common).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 10:20 AM
BigUgly

This what I found about the EZ Locker at Rosser Jeep.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Applications listed here for Jeep only. Many more available, please call.

NOTE: THIS PRODUCT NOT RECOMENDED FOR USE WITH OVER A 33" TALL TIRE. FOR LARGER TIRES, WE RECOMMEND DETROIT LOCKER &amp; TRUE TRAC

[/ QUOTE ]

So If you don't have big tires or big hp, go for it. Otherwise, go for a different front locker. L8r,

TheBigUgly [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 12:22 PM
Enthusiast

Lockers broken in my club:
8 EZs
1 Lock Right
1 ARB
1 spool
1 welded diff

Spend the extra little bit of money and get the lock right.

If you mod the jeep, it will be a better off roader. If you mod the F-150, it will be a worser tow rig.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 08:26 PM

You need more money for your project.Or are you gonna install this stuff yourself?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 08:38 PM

OK, here is my 2 cents. I have an AMC 20 one piece with 4.10 and detroit in the rear. My AMC 20 is also trussed. I do not have a locker in the front and will not until I can drum up the $$ for the ARB. Just having the detroit in the rear is awesome...I can go more place in 2wd than I used to be able to in 4wd. The caution about the driveability on the snow (street) is no joke. It is just flat dangerous in the snow in 2wd. In 4wd with the open front it is just fine. So, bottom line...the rear is a great setup...don't think you will be disappointed, however, for the front I think you need something you can disengage, like ARB (especially true if it is a daily driver). Also, you need more $$ to do it unless you plan to do the labor yourself...for me, the gears were left to someone else. [img]images/graemlins/scs.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2003, 12:44 AM
funjoh

Jeepsternaut, Do you have a picture of how you trussed your AMC20? Tbanks
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2003, 08:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you lock the front make sure you budget for some alloy axle shafts with bigger Ujoints, and even then make sure the wheels are straight ahead when you stand on the skinny pedal. We have a club member that has run a locked D30 with an injected 401 and 35's for years and has yet to break any part of it. He doesn't baby it, but he does use his head...
Good luck with your project.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2003, 08:57 PM

FJ- I don't, but I can if you want to see it. I will be out of town all day Sunday, but should be able to take a couple on Monday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode