can this be right ?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

can this be right ??

hi today i saw a 1971 CJ5 with a AMC304 V8, manual gearbox,
unnown transfer, tilt steering wheel, powersteering and
the first thing that worryed me was the fan was eletric not driven by the engine, there wasent even room for a fan.
the front drive shaft was removed,it looked like if you drove over a speed bump the driveshaft would hit the gearbox.
the jeep had been taken apart and were put togehter nicely
but not perfekt the price was

!!!!!!!!!12,500 US $!!!!!!!!!!!!
to me this looks like a total ripof does any of you now if there was ever built a jeep CJ5 with the listed things ??

Maddane cj7

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 01:57 PM
BigUgly

Re: can this be right ??

The wheelbase for a `71 is 81 inches, You are correct that there is little room in there for a fan. I have a Chevy 350 bore and stroked to 383 ci in my `62 CJ5. I had to use an old short water pump or there would be no room for the fan. I have a T18 4spd with D18 tcase, my rear driveshaft is about maybe 15 inches at max( I haven't actually checked it, I towed it to a driveshaft shop and drove it out.) But, These little wheelbase Jeeps with V8 power are YEEEHHHAAAWWW!!!! machines. A little squirrelly but, once you get the handling traits down, it's fun to drive. As for the price, what have they done to the V8? Is it stock? How about the axles, lockers? Somebody has put alot of time into the conversion. Have fun out there, [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] L8r,

TheBigUgly
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

no i am sorry no mods at all.
stock engone no lift no nothing.
between the radiator and the fanbolts inch the fan is in front of the radiator this tells me that this v8 cj5 isent orininal or am i wrong.

maddancj7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 03:00 PM
JimD

No it is not right. The 71's came with a v6 or a 4 banger. I have a 71 with a 289 ford, cast iron cruise-o-matic auto' and 18 transfer case. The transfer case bolts to the back of the tranny without the use of adaptors so I did not need to build a extra short driveline. I am running a chevy crossflow radiator with the stock fan from the motor, I added a elec. fan between the grill and radiator for extra cooling. Like BigUgly said "Very fun to drive" and the setup works great.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 09:45 PM
BigUgly

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I am running a chevy crossflow radiator

[/ QUOTE ]
In a `71, what radiator is it? I have a `64 Impala one. The top and the bottom hoses are on the same side, the passenger side. This one is Modine's or Performance Radiator's model 281. if you know what model number or what car it came out of, I would like to know. Oh and about the price of the Jeep in question it definitely not a good deal. Thanks,

TheBigUgly [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 10:41 PM

The price is high and so is the guy selling it. [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 03:59 PM
JimD

Big ugly, The crossflow is out of a late 60's early, 70's camaro. I think they were used for a number of years. I replaced it a couple of years ago, If you need it I can dig up my sales invoice and get you a part #. I used the stock mounts out of the car and welded them to my front crossmember, I used the stock grill supports from the jeep to hold down the top radiator mounts. I have some pics of the finished install at home. I can post them if you would like to see them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode