Seat belt/ harness questions?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2003, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Seat belt/ harness questions??

My passangerside seat belt reciever has gone bad, I have cleaned it out several times, and it just disconects without warning and needless to say neither I or the jeep wife is happy about it. So call up the stealership, and they quote me 75 bucks for it. I did not like it that much to begin with so I do not want to pay 75 bucks for it.

We have decided that once the jeep is payed off we are keeping it for a dedicated trail rig. So we have been looking at harness systems. like the 4 point setups this leads me to my question.

Does anyone have any experience with any harnesses that will work with stock seats that is worth spending money on?

Or are we gonna have to buy a set of those uncomfortable racing seats in order to use a harness?? if so i will probably find annother stock setup. [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 02:25 PM

Re: Seat belt/ harness questions??

I would not use the 4 point setup. from what i have learned from this board. if you are in a wreck, the shoulder belts pull the lap belt up off your pelvis and will cause considerable damge to your innards! I just bought a set of the Corbeau Ultra SS seats. they are very nice! but you will either have to fab a bracket to mount them or buy their adapter. With the racing seats you can run a 5 point harness which would be alot safer as long as you mount it to something solid and not sheetmetal. just my $.02 Wade
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 02:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Do you get Petersons 4wd mag. They have safety stuff in it this month. How to do a 4 point harness, and other stuff. Not to sell their mag, but it's the extended Woops one as well. You should check it out it's the answer to your question. I'm sure those guys have experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 03:02 PM

Wade is right about the 4-point harness. Stick with the 3-point factory setup or go with a 5-point harness. The crotch strap is often referred to as an "anti-submarine" strap, and it will perform that function in a race car with a lay-down driving position. With upright seating it keeps the shoulder straps from pulling the lap belt up into your gut.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 03:54 PM

I'm going for a 5 point harness, and then munting the seats, and belt to the cage.

Don't want the seat coming out and the belts staying in.

If I'm having problems with mobility in the shoulder straps, I'm going to try sending them back to an inercia reel, that way there's mobility and they will tighten up upon impact.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 04:20 PM

If your going to change your restraint system from stock to aftermarket , A 5 point is the best way to go.
One thing to consider though, Most if not all of those restraint systems ARE NOT D.O.T. approved. You
can be fined if the cop notices the belts, And I`ve talked with a couple cops who watch the ricer punks
especialy for that infraction. I`ve been warned once about it.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I will snatch up a copy of petersons.. Wade how much did your seats cost? and are they comfortable??
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 01:03 AM

I got them from www.mad4wd.com for $405 a pair shipped. They were on sale so I am not sure how long this price is good for. I am 6' and weigh about 265 or so. I have a 38" waist which is what mine is supposed to fit. They are really comfortable but pretty snug in the hips. Maybe I could lose a few pounds? [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] So I dont think I will be worrying about getting tossed out. I am gonna go with camlock saftey harness from Summit. They are pricey but I want it to be easy for the Jeepwife to get her belt fastened. hope this helps. Wade
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2003, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Wade I have a buddy of mine who owns a race car. Aparently they have to replace there harness every 2 years per their rules. He has two camlock style he has been trying to sell. PM me if you might be interested in them. We have never talked price, but he is really reasonable with me on most things.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2003, 01:42 PM

Rio I PMd ya on the belts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode