OT-Good Samaritan gets a traffic ticket - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2003, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

OT-Good Samaritan gets a traffic ticket

My boss told me about this. The guy had a Jeep and went to help out the kid first.

[img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img]

<font color="blue">Good Samaritan gets a traffic ticket </font color>

A Good Samaritan, who was pulling people out of the snow during Sunday's storm, got ticketed by an Oklahoma Highway Patrol trooper.

News on 6 crime reporter Lori Fullbright explains that Doug Jones says he was just trying to be a good neighbor and use his four-wheel drive to pull a few people out of the ditch, but he'll have to think twice before he does it again, because now, he's got to pay a $117 ticket.

Doug Jones is a hard-working family man who got a call Sunday from a friend who said his son was stuck and asked Doug for help. So, Doug went to highway 169 and pulled the friend's son out of the ditch. "There was a trooper who pulled up behind us about 150-200 feet and turned his lights on. He never got out, never said anything, so, after we got him out, we unhooked and I left."

Jones says that's when he saw a woman stuck and he pulled her out too, then he saw a couple stuck and stopped to help them. That's when a second trooper stopped, said Doug had been warned about being in the road, so, was now getting a ticket for parking improperly on the road. "I was sitting there thinking that I'm just out here trying to help and getting chastised for it. This is the way I was brought up, to try to help your neighbor and that's what I teach my kids, but I don't know what do to."

Jones said the first officer had not warned him and if he had, he would've listened. "I would've gone home. Case closed. Because that's the other thing I've been taught, to respect the law." OHP couldn't talk about this specific case, but said while they do appreciate Good Samaritans helping out, safety must come first. Trooper Mike Harrell, "If it starts causing problems with vehicles trying to avoid them and running off the road. We appreciate their help, but there's a time and place for you to try to help."

Jones says he didn't like getting the ticket, but, what was worse, was having to drive off, leaving the couple still stuck in the snow. Troopers says keeping people out of the road is for the safety of the Good Samaritans too, they point out tow trucks have lights and safety equipment to make the process safer.

Jones plans to protest his ticket next month in court.

LORI FULLBRIGHT

Original Article

[img]images/graemlins/lame.jpg[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2003, 09:19 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: OT-Good Samaritan gets a traffic ticket

1. No good deed goes unpunished...
2. There are two sides to every story...
3. I'm glad I'm not the Judge, the Cop or the person ticked,
4. I'll let the court decide, but were it I,
5. I'd learn the law and fight the ticket,
6. IF I thought I was right...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2003, 09:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

And they claim police don't have quotas to meet please. pretty obvious the cop graduated a**hole academy with flying colors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2003, 09:40 AM
Keyboard Implanted

That seems like [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img] to me. I can see that the cop didn't want him in the road... OK. But to leave the people stuck in the ditch and to drive off. Come on now. The least the cop could have done was to get out of his car, and direct traffic wile the guy pulled the couple out of the ditch. Then the cop could have ticked him and set him on the way. Sounds to me the [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img] cop probably would have tickeded the couple also for parking where they shouldn't
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2003, 09:46 AM
Addict

if the cop was truly acting out of concern for the safety of all involved, he would have parked his cruiser with the lights on in a manner to redirect traffic around the good samaritan.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2003, 09:49 AM
Journeyman

I betcha that that stretch of roadway is leased to a certain tow truck company, and they are supposed to get all emergency breakdowns. Always follow the money trail when it comes to government.

Mick

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2003, 10:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am a police officer in so-cal and I find this type of behavior from an officer unacceptable. More and more I see cops that do not have any life experiences or common sense. I would fight the ticket and explain the incident to a judge. This is one reason that cops are losing respect from their communities.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2003, 10:34 AM
Addict

very refreshing to hear that from a member of the law enforcement community. i have a buddy whos been a cop for about a year and a half now, and if anything i think it has made him more closed minded, condemning ppl he arrests rather than trying to help them or understand their situation.

example: he pulled a motorhome with out-of-state tags and there was some problem with the registration (OR reg'd, vehicle in NC) so he impounds the vehicle and takes the couple's licenses, then laughs to me about how they are screwed and wont get back home.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2003, 10:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just thought I would mention a few things here. No strips of road are the domain of any private wrecker. That is a silly charge of corruption. The standard procedure for a law enforcement agency to call a wrecker for a person (that has not asked for a particular wrecker company) is to request the dispatcher send a wrecker by rotation. Wrecker companies have their license and insurance information on file with a law enforcement agency and then are put on the rotating list. No favoritism, period.

The reason that private citizens are discouraged from doing wrecker work, especially on highways, is if a Trooper is on the scene and something goes wrong (damage to vehicle or a person) the trooper is the one that gets sued. We used to call it "buying the problem". If an officer is on the scene, he owns anything that happens. The real culprit in situations like these is people suing at the drop of a hat and lawyers looking for easy money. It results in situations like these were a good samaritan occasionally gets caught up in a weird deal. It is too bad that an officer using good judgement and good sense can't do the right thing, instead he has to look like a jerk to keep from losing his job and his house.

Welcome to the legal system,

Sharps
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2003, 11:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

"More and more I see cops that do not have any life experiences or common sense."

I'm not happy to read that Officer. I feel that way as a regular Joe. I'm glad it's noticed by other police officer's such as yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode