Way Outta Control
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: The Palouse
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Re: Axel shaft storage
1. I guess the question is will the shafts and bearing pit from surface rust?
2. Yes, and no.
3. It depends on the nickle % of the metal and how it's stored.
4. Me, were they mine I'd take a few precautions,
5. I'd take some nice ol' wheel bearing grease and get dirty!
6. Rub a thin coat of the stuff on the axle, and bag it...
7. Do the same for the bearings and seals.
8. If you're anal, then use some clear garbage bags, and vacuum the air out,
9. Double bag the parts, vacuuming the air out of each bag.
10. This should keep the parts fresh for years,
11. When you're ready to use the parts simply clean them off,
12. With a good spray degreaser like brake cleaner or carb cleaner,
13. Or, leave 'em greasy and install that way, it won't hurt a thing.