Way Outta Control
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: The Palouse
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Re: Getting out of the woods with a broken axle?
1. Your choices are slim...
2. Remove the wheel and broken axle shaft and drag the Jeep out.
3. Build a skid and drag the Jeep out.
4. Or, think...
a. Jack up the rear axle
b. Push the wheel back into place.
c. Get small tree about ten feet long and cut it down/delimb it.
d. Wedge the tree up into the rocker guard,
e. Pass it over the center of the tire,
f. An out to the back of the Jeep.
g. Pull the end of that tree back to the bumper,
h. And this puts pressure on the tire.
i. Strap another smaller branch to the bumper.
k. This keeps the bigger branch in place.
l. Keep the tire/axle well lubricated,
m perhpas putting a wood bearin in the wheel would help.
n. But you can make it out in three wheel drive if,
o. You're careful,
p. You keep it lubed,
q. The trail ain't too agressive.
r. And you keep pushing the wheel back in...
s. Several feet of 5/16" looped cable and wood will also double for the trees..
t. It's kinder to mother nature.
6. Me, I think it's smarter to carry a spare,
7. And not so agressivly wheel where you're braking and sattering parts.
8. In any case, it will be slow going...
9. But hey, it a challange that can be overcome!