4in., 6in., or 8in lift????????? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2003, 07:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

4in., 6in., or 8in lift?????????

I 'm trying to decide which lift would be best for a new tj which will be used both on and off road. How will the lifts affect the ride and everything else?? Sorry about the beginner questions and thanks for the help. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2003, 08:41 PM

Re: 4in., 6in., or 8in lift?????????

Dude be a little more specfic. What size tires do you want to run, what kind of wheeling do you want to do, how much wheeling experiance do you have? Also stay away from sky jacker rock ready kits, they blow, no other way to state it, they arn't worth the money and break all the time and are just a bad design.

BarrelRoll
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2003, 12:30 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Andy, just curious where you got the info on the Rock Ready kits? I personally find them over priced, but a buddy is hard set on the 10" one. I think he's a moron, straight out, but I wouldn't mind having some facts to throw his way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2003, 01:52 AM

I was actually just talking to the education director @ my school about those RR kits yesterday - he's an extremely knowledgeable jeeper, has done several complete restos. He said his brother had thrown one on, and within the first 2 weeks it had literally lost 2".... He was positive the install had been done perfectly and denounced all of those rr kits as loads of crap....

of course i don't have any experience with the rr kits. just thought i'd throw that out there...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2003, 09:17 AM
Keyboard Implanted

New TJ, used for on and off road... This leads me to believe that you will run mild to mid trails with this jeep. I don't know too many people who go he!! bent with a new rig off road. I wuld say that 4" will be enough. Get a set of 33's and you will have a good all around lift.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2003, 05:39 PM

Ok why the skycraper rr kits blow
-As already state the coils sag
-You have to drop your t-case for the long arms, flat skid arn't an option, if you have have a flat skid that gets you back to about stock lift hight
-The upper control arms are still stock length which really limit your flex
-Their workmanship sucks, one of the 2 guys locally that has the kit had a chunk of one of the sub frame assemblies fall off driving down the road, the other guy pretty much had a complete lift minsus coils in broken parts becasue everything broke or wore out
-To use their track bar you have to use their sway bar discos
-The kits are over priced for what they are, compare the price of a 5.5" re long arm vs a 6" rock ready and they are about the same price but the re kit gets you a flat skid plate, better parts and old man emu shocks

My vote would be for a 5.5" rubicon express kit which are usually taller than the sky crappers and you can always add spacers if you need more lift but the 5.5 should work fine for 36's and maybe need 2" spacers for 37's or 38's, remeber too much lift is a bad thing. The guy that had an entire lift kit worth of broken parts had 9" rock ready coils, 2" spacers, and a 1" body lift and was only running 36's. That was way too much lift and the jeep just looked retarted and felt like it was going to turtle over on the bunny trails, instead of admiting we were right and taking a couple inches of lift off he traded it in on a rubi.

BarrelRoll
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2003, 06:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would go with a 3 or 4 inch lift and run 33 12.50 tires . Most likely because that's what I did, and I run on and off. I actually walk a lot because there is nowhere to park. My Jeep is my toy. The ride on the 3 inch teraflex kit is great. I would bet the 4 inch lift is pretty much the same. The gearing becomes a small problem on the road. 5 th gear is kinda usless without a gear change. The axles work fine, but they get pretty loaded up off road ( I worry on snowy hill climbs). High chance of breaking axle shafts. The driveshaft angles aren't that nasty with 3-4 inch lifts. Off road performance is great, but I stay on Modified stock trails. That's what I did with my TJ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode