Steering wheel trouble - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2003, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Steering wheel trouble

Hello,

My 1986 CJ-7 has developed a loose steering wheel. While driving down the road you can wiggle it from side to side. This wiggle is a small but noticable amount. You can move it north or south, east or west, the same amount. One thing that you can't do is pull it out or push it in. If you engage the lever you can adjust the wheel position, But in every position you will have the same sloppiness. This has just developed over the last month. Has anyone experienced the same problem.

Thanks,

Fran Doody
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2003, 07:55 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: Steering wheel trouble

Tilt Colum Repair
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2003, 10:16 PM

Great write up. I did mine for the second time this summer and highly recommend the locktite, otherwise you may be doing yours a second time as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2003, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Tim,

Did you do yours while it was in the jeep? Would you say it took 1 or more hours to complete the job. I guess you need a steering wheel puller and the other gadget that was part of the write-up. Any other advise that you can pass on.

On a different subject, did you take a look at the 6.0 ohm resistors placed in the bottom of the Power/Relay case. It looks like a nice installation. Any comments?

Thanks,

Fran
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2003, 12:14 PM
Way Outta Control

1. This was the first repair I did to my CJ,
2. It took me about 4 hours.
3. I would recommend a steering wheel puller,
4. I didn't need the lock ring depresser,
5. A nice pointy screwdriver woked fine!
6. You just have to have a little dextirity and patience,
7. Once you get that little bugger of a spring wire off, it's a peice of cake.
8. I didn' t use thread lock, and the repair's lasted about 8 years.
9. Most of the problem happens when people use the steering wheel
10. As a hand hold to help them get into a Jeep.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2003, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Leve,

You always provide a very informative post. Now I have a great idea of just what I am facing. Is there a possiblity that the screws could come free and jam the steering post.

Thanks again,

Fran
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2003, 01:07 PM
Way Outta Control

1. Nope, they won't jam the steering shaft,
2. But they can get in and cause havoc with wiring,
3. There are two wiring harness that could be cut, or shorted,
4. And they could also interfere with the ignition lock acution rod,
5. That's a stretch, but it's possible depending on how it works out...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2003, 02:56 PM

Yeah, it took something around an hour to take it apart and put it back together on the vehicle. Fooling around with that retaining ring is the biggest hassle. I used piece of channel iron about 4" square that I drilled a 1/2" hole in the centre and used the steering wheel retaining nut to depress the assembly to remove the retainer ring. I picked at the ring with a pointy tool till I got it off the groove on one end, then continued around till I got it off.

I'm sure Leve is right about people using the steering wheel as a grab bar to get into the jeep, it's esp tempting when it's a long way up. It's a bad habbit I can't totally break.

WRT the resistors, it looks nice and neat to me installed in the power relay box. I wouln't have done it that way as I calculated up to 18 watts per resistor being dissipated. That heat x2 would have worried me. However, in practice, I find that after going for a drive, I open the hood and touch the resistors and they aren't even warm. I'm still going to leave mine on their own plate of aluminum. They are up out of harms way on the back of the grill. Those heat finned resistors look great. I was too cheap to order them as I hadn't yet determined an appropriate value of resistance. Someone did calculations with GM TBI injectors and calculated that they saturate a 2 amps with 75% pwm current limit. That's pretty much what mine would draw if held open long enough to saturate. That makes me confortable that they are not going over current, and my -32C mornings makes me believe there is no problem with getting them open with 2 amps either. It's possible they open a little slower, and that's the current debate. I kept my opening time at 1.0ms on the constants page. I'm having no trouble tuning. I am still leaning things out from my starting point. I need some time to do more datalogging. I went for a spin at lunch with the Itronix laptop hooked up and it kept resetting on me. Next time I will use the Thinkpad and also then have excell for viewing the spreadsheet it creates out of the data. At some point, Megatweak is supposed to have it's own capture capability so it reads data and creates it's own ideal points as opposed to using one program to log and Megatweak to analyse post fact.

I'm playing around with the prime pulse and cold start enrichments. I added more prime and it fires up faster after sitting in the cold for a day. I find my engine starts with a turn of the key easily, but has some hunting in rpms for the first 10 seconds before stabilizing. I want perfection, or as close as I can get. If I depress the pedal right after starting and rev it up, the hunting doesn't occur. I am considering an alternative fast idle control to the Bosch auxiliary air device. It seems to only produce a couple of hundred rpm increase in cold idle. I'd like a solenoid that revved it up higher get things going initially. An idle stop solenoid sounds good, but looking at the tbi arm there isn't really provision. An air solenoid such as used for an auxilary fuel tank would be a good try. That's what one company (SFI) uses for their fast idle and air conditioning solenoid. Can't beat the nice system that GM has with their stepper motor. They didn't do it for nothing, as I'm sure they would have saved the $$$ for profits if they could have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode