Join Date: Nov 2000
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Steering wheel trouble
Yeah, it took something around an hour to take it apart and put it back together on the vehicle. Fooling around with that retaining ring is the biggest hassle. I used piece of channel iron about 4" square that I drilled a 1/2" hole in the centre and used the steering wheel retaining nut to depress the assembly to remove the retainer ring. I picked at the ring with a pointy tool till I got it off the groove on one end, then continued around till I got it off.
I'm sure Leve is right about people using the steering wheel as a grab bar to get into the jeep, it's esp tempting when it's a long way up. It's a bad habbit I can't totally break.
WRT the resistors, it looks nice and neat to me installed in the power relay box. I wouln't have done it that way as I calculated up to 18 watts per resistor being dissipated. That heat x2 would have worried me. However, in practice, I find that after going for a drive, I open the hood and touch the resistors and they aren't even warm. I'm still going to leave mine on their own plate of aluminum. They are up out of harms way on the back of the grill. Those heat finned resistors look great. I was too cheap to order them as I hadn't yet determined an appropriate value of resistance. Someone did calculations with GM TBI injectors and calculated that they saturate a 2 amps with 75% pwm current limit. That's pretty much what mine would draw if held open long enough to saturate. That makes me confortable that they are not going over current, and my -32C mornings makes me believe there is no problem with getting them open with 2 amps either. It's possible they open a little slower, and that's the current debate. I kept my opening time at 1.0ms on the constants page. I'm having no trouble tuning. I am still leaning things out from my starting point. I need some time to do more datalogging. I went for a spin at lunch with the Itronix laptop hooked up and it kept resetting on me. Next time I will use the Thinkpad and also then have excell for viewing the spreadsheet it creates out of the data. At some point, Megatweak is supposed to have it's own capture capability so it reads data and creates it's own ideal points as opposed to using one program to log and Megatweak to analyse post fact.
I'm playing around with the prime pulse and cold start enrichments. I added more prime and it fires up faster after sitting in the cold for a day. I find my engine starts with a turn of the key easily, but has some hunting in rpms for the first 10 seconds before stabilizing. I want perfection, or as close as I can get. If I depress the pedal right after starting and rev it up, the hunting doesn't occur. I am considering an alternative fast idle control to the Bosch auxiliary air device. It seems to only produce a couple of hundred rpm increase in cold idle. I'd like a solenoid that revved it up higher get things going initially. An idle stop solenoid sounds good, but looking at the tbi arm there isn't really provision. An air solenoid such as used for an auxilary fuel tank would be a good try. That's what one company (SFI) uses for their fast idle and air conditioning solenoid. Can't beat the nice system that GM has with their stepper motor. They didn't do it for nothing, as I'm sure they would have saved the $$$ for profits if they could have.