T-case dilema:( - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2003, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

T-case dilema:(

I'm currently having some troubles figuring out what route to go with my YJ. I'm pretty much planning on swapping in a D300 in place of my NP231 to get a longer driveshaft and WAY beefier tcase. The plan was to get a D300 and get a flipkit. Well, this runs for around $700 for the flipkit. My other option is the swap the front end and run a stock D300. Problem is, what front do I swap to? I'm currently running a D44 from an '88 G-Waggy. I would defiently want to keep the same width as that so I don't have to worry about shortening it or redoing my steering linkage. Does anyone have ANY suggestions? I need some facts on widths of passenger side drop D44's. Will I have any front driveshaft clearance problems on my YJ? What about exhaust? I don't want to route it out right under my gas filler. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2003, 06:29 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: T-case dilema:(

You know Jammy, a quick search will net the booty. It's only been covered about as often as "how big of tire can I run on my stock TJ?" has on JU! [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Head over Jeepgod's site and specifically the Waggy axle specs page.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2003, 09:59 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Jamgood. What you are thinking of doing is exactly what I am planning on doing. And the perfect axel is a front D44 from a 1974-1979 Grand waggoneer. They are the correct length, they have open knuckels, 30 spline cariers, disk breaks, and flat tops. Locking hubs too. And if you alreayd have a front D44 then you are way ahead of the game. Pretty much just take what you have in your axle now, and put it in the new housing.

I think that swapping axels is a better plan than flipping the Xfer case.

You may or may not get away with leaving the exhaust. you will probably have to get some pipe rebent, but I am sure that it will not be a big deal. Good luck, and Keep us posted I myself am very interested in your project because like I say I am doing the same thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 08:03 AM

Jamgood
There has been some duscussion regarding running a flipped D300 here on GLJT. Maybe you could contact one of these guys for some information about doing the flip w/o a $700 adaptor.

Just another possibility [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

So basically a '77 Wagoneer axle would work? I believe I can get one for around $150(kinda higher than I would like, but not horrible). Is the caster going to be the same?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 09:13 PM
Can't Get Enough

Are you spring over or under? If you are spring over, I would chop down a Chevy's 44 housing to the length of your existing inner axles. Use everything you already have, but the housing.

Spring under, use the Waggie axle complete.

For the savings in the flip kit, you can do a lot with a 44 axle. Pay and pulls around here have sales for complete axles for $50.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I'd rather nut cut down a Chevy axle if I can get a Jeep one that fits right in.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 09:35 PM

All the narrow-track full-size Jeep axles are the same width. The pre-80 ones just have a passenger-side differential. I believe you still have to grind into the diff housing for the new spring perch when going SOA with these axles though. If you didn't mind the work on your current axle, I don't suppose you'll mind re-doing it all for the next one.

The exhaust system will have to be moved to the driver's side, which makes it almost a straight shot from the exhuast to the rear of the Jeep- none of this crossing over in front of the tranny crap.

It's a shame you can't borrow an NP-208 and see how it fits. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 01:45 AM
Wrangler88

hey jammy let me know what u figure out with the exhaust on your 4.0, ive got a dana 60 front and dana 70 rear with a NP 241 sitting in my yard, waiting to go in the TJ, but i don't know what i can do with the exhaust... it still needs to be street legal.. [img]images/graemlins/goodpost.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 06:46 AM
Keyboard Implanted

That 77 Waggie front will be a Gem of an axel. $150 sounds like a good deal to me. I wish I could find one for that. I would jump on it like a pig on poo

With that 77 you get flat tops. Those alone are wroth what you are paying for the whole thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode