World Class T5 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2003, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

World Class T5

Hi there:
I've got a t5 in my '86 with a 258. One of the reasons I originally bought this arrangement was to swap in a 5.0 motor and WC t-5. I figure I can use the 4x tailshaft housing from my current t5 and swap it to a WC unit. Does anyone know the feasibility of this swap? I'm not sure if the internals are interchangeable in regards to the tranny housing. THanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2003, 01:41 PM

Re: World Class T5

There's more to it than that. Advance adapters used to sell the piece necessary. Parts Mike had it listed on his site. You probably use your tail housing, but need a new tail shaft that fits both the t/c and the w/c t5.

Me, I'm waiting to hear how the NV35?? being used in the newer jeeps works out in the long haul, as I hear it is easy to convert to a Dana300.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2003, 01:42 PM

Okay, I'm gonna bite here. I haven't heard of a World Class T5. What exactly is that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2003, 01:48 PM

It's the T5 from borg/warner used on camaro's and mustangs during roughly the same time period they were using t4/t5 in jeeps. It's got brass synchros and some other enhancements to increase it's durability. You'd think that handling a 5.0 mustang it would be much stronger. (How much more torque does a factory 5.0L make over the 258? or is it mostly more horsepower from rpms?) Fact or fiction that it's hands down better? There was a guy who posted here and said his WC t5 bit the dust and he felt it was a waste of money. I don't think those tranny's had the best reputation in mustangs either. Ford replaced it, and the motorsport catalogue used to list a heavy duty T5 to replace it. Keep asking questions before spending a lot of money on this project.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2003, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

I actually sold a 93 5.0 mustang to buy the jeep. The mustang wasn't too useful here in the mountains where summer lasts for 3 months. Guys in mustangs were putting 350+ hp through the t5 without probs (ok, so speed shifting and quarter mile runs may have shortened their lifespans).
I've got a buddy who put one in his early Bronco with a 351 w/o probs as well. But he had to have a bunch of machine work done to do it-$$$. So I'm not really worried about it's strength in my CJ, and I love the od. Has anyone else seen this done before, and does AA still offer the WCt5 tranny for 4x4 anyway?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2003, 03:00 PM

Thanks for the info clearing up my misconception that the mustang t5 might not be too stout. Advance A used to sell the whole tranny ready to go, but says they stopped due to availability of the NV TJ 5 spd tranny. They may still have the conversion parts in their catalogue. It's available online. Also, (parts)Mike Monahan has a web site with his advanced adapter parts listed there. He's probably got the best prices on those AA parts.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2003, 03:01 PM

Thanks, was curious what it was! I'm picking up a t5/D300 combo in a week or two (was supposed to do it last weekend, but wife's car decided to have several problems all at once that took up my time) for $100. Was curious if the World Class thing was something I could do to upgrade an existing t5. Thanks again!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2003, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Is there anybody out there who has dissected a t5 before and knows what exactly the internal differences are between the WC and non-WC in terms of output shaft dims, shift rods, cluster gears, etc.? It seems to me that if the shafts are the same dia., then I could pull the 2wd tailshaft housing off, swap the shift mechanism, and bolt up the 4wd adapter. ????
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2003, 05:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am likely the guy that TimMB said was bashing WC T-5's. I have no complants about the forward gears. In both my WC and NWC T-5's first through fifth held up fine. However reverse blow up in each. Both the Reverse idler and Cluster gear where serverly damaged. My WC T-5 is about to go back in the jeep with a new idler but the reverse on the cluster gear is full of cracks and will need to be babyed.

The biggest internal difference between WC/NWC T-5's is the syncros and cluster gear. The NWC T-5 uses single brass syncros and the end play on the cluster gear is set by the tail houseing. The WC T-5 uses double steel sycros on some of the gears (I don't remember which ones) and the end play in the cluster gear is set within the main case. Reverse gears practically identical and they even use the same reverse idler.

The NWC T-5 is known to have a weak second gear syncro. This is likely why the WC T-5 uses improved syncros. In a car like the mustang a WC T-5 might hold up well since power is rarely needed in reverse. However in a jeep where Backing up under load is often needed I think it is very weak. I wish now I had given up over drive an put in a ford T-18. If I missed over drive I could have then regear my 3.54's to 3.08's and regained overdirve like gearing and still have improved crawl ratio. I figure this would have cost about the same as the new WC T-5 from AA.

Bandhmo
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2003, 06:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Why not just go with the NP435? It came in the Ford 3/4 ton trucks so it is plenty strong for a Jeep! with an adapter from Novak it bolts right to the dana 300, and it is already setup to bolt to a 302 with truck bellhousing...you can then use the heavy duty 11" 3/4 ton flywheel and clutch. Pair that with a set of M.O.R.E. motor mounts and you're set! (I just did this BTW in my 86 CJ-7).

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode