Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Hydraulic ram sources? (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/155520-hydraulic-ram-sources.html)

Dean 02-25-2003 07:56 AM

Hydraulic ram sources?

Does anyone know of a good source for hydraulic rams for hydro assisted steering set-ups? Also, would a 1.75" dia. ram react too slow for street use, and should I stick with a 1.5' dia. ram?

Dean

Olin18 02-25-2003 07:58 AM

Re: Hydraulic ram sources?

Try Harbor Freight. As I recal they have a lot of them in their catalog.

www.harborfreight.com

CJ money pit 02-25-2003 08:21 AM

Take a look at what Scott offers HERE . He is a standup quality individual to work with. I am going to buy his hydro kit when I get set to do mine.

Max

LEVE 02-25-2003 08:30 AM

1. I just received the JCW "Jeeps Speciality" catalog,
2. They're selling a lot of new products,
3. One is a Hydraulic Steering System,
4. Only about $900...
5. Just remember it's JCW!

Brhino 02-25-2003 09:12 AM

I haven't done it yet, but I work at John Deere and we use those steering rams on all our equipment. Bet a John Deere Dealer would have what you are looking for. I know they will be heavy duty. That is my course of action when/if I do this mod.

z50k2 02-25-2003 09:34 AM

I am running a 1.5" ram from Bailey. It responds well on the street and nice on the trails. It is a compromise, so get a cylinder for what you plan to do most of with your jeep.
Bailey Hydraulic Supply
Ricky...seeya...

Dean 02-26-2003 07:06 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
1. I just received the JCW "Jeeps Speciality" catalog,
2. They're selling a lot of new products,
3. One is a Hydraulic Steering System,
4. Only about $900...
5. Just remember it's JCW!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not looking to spend that kind of money. I'm going to drill and tap my box for the fittings, and put everything together myself. I figure that I should be able to do it all for about $200.

Dean

Dean 02-26-2003 07:09 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I am running a 1.5" ram from Bailey. It responds well on the street and nice on the trails. It is a compromise, so get a cylinder for what you plan to do most of with your jeep.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the link. What's the model number of the Bailey ram that you went with?

Dean

payton 02-26-2003 09:17 AM

ok not to jack ur thread.. but drilling and tapping ur steering box.. can u be a lil more specific. where u did this at .. etc.. pics would be great.. im looking at doing this now.. to help turn my 39.5s thanks.

YJBrian 02-26-2003 06:38 PM

Try this thread payton

H8's Ram Assist