Help! with hubs!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2003, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Help! with hubs!!!

Brakes are fixed. I think the new rubber bushings take place of the metal/rubber ones in the manual. Okay, here's the question:

('82 CJ-7 with stock hubs on dana 30 axle)
I can't get my hubs back on! They don't go on far enough to get the c-clip in the groove. If I put them on backwards (dust cover facing out) there's enough room. For some reason they won't go on the right way. I even gave them a good love tap with a hammer to no avail. Any ideas?

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2003, 10:20 PM

Re: Help! with CJ calipers and hubs!!!

Take one of the bolts from the hub assembly and put it in the axle shaft. The rod in the middle with all of the splines on it, that the C-clip goes on. if you pull that gently out, you should get just enough clearance to get that C-clip on. I tried everything two months ago to get the rotor on...i kicked and kicked with both feet, but slowing down, and pulling out in the middle and pushing the rotor on, did the trick for me. Good luck

Also, i do believe mine wobbled until i started bleeding the system and getting some pressure in the caliper. Again, good luck

cecil
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2003, 10:47 PM

I believe there is some kind of plastic bushing that the caliper bolt rides in, because its a tight rubbing kind of fit when you pull it thru, not loose. If yours had one, where did it go?

The splined end of the axle sticks out thru the spindle. It has some play in and out. It's probably just resting inward so that not enough is sticking out to get the circlip around it. You can reach around behind the knuckle (u joint side) with a screwdriver and gently apply pressure to the axle to move it outward. I seem to recall you can pry against the metal ring that helps keep dirt out axle tube end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2003, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Thanks for the help guys! A prybar in the universal joint gave me enough room for the c-clip. I'm back in business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode