line locks as parking brakes? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2003, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

line locks as parking brakes?

has anyone ever heard of a line lock or rollstop kit that doesnt use constant power? someone told me a long time ago there was one that only need battery to set it and that was it. would it be a smart idea to use one of these as a parking brake?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2003, 06:20 PM
Journeyman

Re: line locks as parking brakes?

Yes, I have been using one for several years. There was a post last year some time listing the part number but I can't find my notes. It was purchased at NAPA. I don't leave my vehicle unattended with the engine running with either of my parking brakes actuated and always put the trans in gear when the engine is off.

Gary M
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2003, 06:27 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

I don't think I'd use it. I'd definatly not consider it an emergency brake!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2003, 06:29 PM
Official Curmudgeon

I bought one from Whitney that doesn't use any electrical. It releases when you press on the brake, I'd rather have one the doesn't. Years ago, there used to be a lever type that really put pressure on the brakes, but that was before dual braking systems.

I have mixed feelings about using it for a parking brake, but will never delete the mechanical emergency brake. Yeah, I know I can put it in a low gear and shut of the engine, but I'll still have an e-brake.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2003, 06:45 PM

I have seen them used in trucks as big as 5-ton dumps. They are lever actuated. You push down on the brakes , then you engage the lever. This "locks" the fluid in the wheel cyl or calipers so the brakes dont release. It works decent, just turn motor off and put it in gear.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2003, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

i wasnt really planning on using it as an emergency brake, more as just a parking brake for when i let my jeep warm up in the mornings or any other time i let the jeep sit and idle( hopping out to see how deep a hole is, etc.) my jeep doesnt have any of the ebrake parts in it at all, not even in the drums. more fun the po had. just another question, how many people have used a foot operated emergency brake in an emergency?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2003, 07:10 PM
Veteran

I have a Mico brake I intend to use this way. I don't have any emergency brakes now so I don't understand how it could make things worse.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2003, 09:29 PM

I think it's a reliability issue that makes using them as a parking brake somewhat taboo. Not that my brakes leak or anything, but if pressure did bleed off, of course they would release. The cable is suppose, once engaged and the pedal on lock position, should be darn reliable. I find mine works very poory for resistance to rolling backwards. Motor vehicle code requires a separate system for the parking / emergency brake in our jurisdiction.

That's an interesting question about the "emergency brake" capability of the stock system. I honestly don't think I'd have the presence of mind to put my foot into the "emergency brake" unless it was a slow roll down a hill. Can't imagine trying it in an accident, even if my foot went to the floor with the stock system. I'd probably be concentrating my efforts elsewhere. Handbrake seems far more effective on any vehicle I've owned than my jeeps foot operated e-brake, especially since having made it's operation more difficult by installing a front hoop. Ideally, I'd like a hand operated disk or drum brake at the transfer case, and switch to rear disks.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2003, 03:23 PM
Enthusiast

This is the one in my CJ...
http://www.jamarperformance.com/products/brakes.htm
(down at the very bottom)

Very handy, however,I can tell you that over the last couple of years I have had at least a half dozen occasions where I have had to get out and bleed the lines a lttle to release it. I have also read that the break hydraulic system was never meant to be engaged for extended periods of time. Can't say as I've never had it on for more then 1/2 hour or so... Other then the first time it stuck on

It's not a replacement for a cable brake as that's for use in a hydraulic failure. Might also be tied to the extended use issue listed above...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode