Dana 35c Upgrade options? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2003, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Dana 35c Upgrade options?

Ive been reading a bunch about this and it seems that its not very strong. My question is, if im out 4 wheeling with mostly stock rig "97 tj 4.0" but have 33" tires on it. As long as im not kicking the crap out of the Jeep, do they hold up fairly well? or do I have to be nervous every time I take the jeep on the trail? Also, if I want to do a cheap upgrade without actualy having to change the whole rear end, are there many more options for beefing up this particular rear end?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2003, 03:22 PM

Re: Dana 35c Upgrade options?

As Jeeper99xj tells me, there's no need to try and polish a turd. If your looking to upgrade, it would be much cheaper to swap in an entirely new axle, that would be much stronger than trying to make the D35 bullet proof. Try a Ford 8.8 or a D44.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2003, 03:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

So far so good. A couple of weird noises. Turning RPM's in the snow is tough. I'm with getting a Dana 44. Waste the 35 then find a 44.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2003, 04:18 PM

I agree with not trying to polish a turd. The Super 35 kit is the only axle upgrade kit I am aware of for the D35..., but it is quite spendy. Plus you are still left with a weak housing/tubes and now you need truss for the axle as well. [img]images/graemlins/lame.jpg[/img] I have had good luck with my D35 but I don't try to kill it every time I go out. As soon as it breaks..., it will be replaced though.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2003, 06:30 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

I've personally seen 3 blow up, and I was the one blowing up one of them. I cannot see how they even hold up under light street use. I broke an axle shaft while just sitting in the snow turning a few thousand RPM's to get unstuck. What a waste of steel!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2003, 08:04 PM

Don't dump money in them, the only people that really tell you they are a good axle are the ones that have dumped small fourtines into them and they still have issues with them. The small ring and pinion and weak shafts and spiders that love to blow up are the roots of the problem but the housings also have been known to have issues with them. Some people blow them up running 30's and the stock 4 banger others make them last with 40's, jeepingreg blew up his running 30" street tires and a stock 4 banger playing in the snow and lost traction and then found a little traction and now i'm setting up an 8.8 for him soon, and then sycho15 has seen poeple running 40's on d35's in florida mud with out breaking shafts so it's all luck. If your worried about blowing it up get your self a spare set of shafts and spiders and start saving up for an 8.8 swap.

BarrelRoll
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2003, 09:06 PM
Old Hand

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Originally posted by: Jeeper99xj
and then sycho15 has seen poeple running 40's on d35's in florida mud with out breaking shafts so it's all luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about that, I tend to lean towards driving style.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Originally posted by: jamgood96

I broke an axle shaft while just sitting in the snow turning a <font color="red">few thousand RPM's</font color> to get unstuck

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't have the same problem as Jammy cause I don't spin the wheels like that, If I get stuck and it wont move at idle, it's time to break out the shovel and or Hi-Lift. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2003, 11:48 AM

i think a local guy has one of those the housing itself is shot the pinion bearing ares is stretched with the way he drives go figure but he is selling the full detroit locker not the cheap ones. (strange) brand? axle shafts (stock shafts as well) carbon kevlar brake shoes and ring and pinions brand new gear ratio? not stock i would have to contact him on the spacifics his email [email protected] he is in ca 95501
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode