changing universals on a D30 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2003, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

changing universals on a D30

i am going to change out the universals on the front axle (D30) of my jeep (80 cj-7) i have never played with the axles much. are there any words of wisdom and do i need any special tools to get the universals apart?

thanks all
shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2003, 12:57 PM

Re: changing universals on a D30

Only special tool I recall needing was the socket for that skinny nut on the hub which I can't remember the proper name of right now... I should have one floating around my garage somewhere that I can lend you, or Quadratrac has them for sale for about $9 apiece. I'll check in the garage tonight and make sure I still have it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2003, 01:23 PM
BigUgly

I found the easiest way to do u-joints is with a ball joint press. it looks like this. You can borrow one from places like Autozone. or by one from places like Harbor Freight http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=38335 I found mine at a pawn shop for $15.00. we have one at the race shop and I liked it so much I found my own. You put the joint in the middle and and the screw goes pushes the other end out the hole on the clamp side. Out and in in about 5 minutes. Then, It's miller time. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img] L8r,

TheBigUgly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2003, 01:24 PM

Might as well repack the wheel bearings, change the seal, and inner spindle bearing and seal while you have it apart.

Either hammer and socket or press, vice and socket will get the job done.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2003, 01:42 PM

SPINDLE NUT SOCKET! Name just came to me while I was bisecting a glazed donut. That's the special tool you need... the socket, not the donut, of course.

For extracting and installing the joints themselves, I use the ol' hammer n' socket approach. Bearing packing just takes a Fist Full O' Grease.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2003, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

thanks for the offer on the spindle nut sprocket. i really need to buy one, but until then, i can just use the hammer and chisel trick! it has not failed me yet! btw- when are we gonna wheel?

thanks all
shawn
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2003, 10:55 AM

Heh... yep, that works too. Good thing, because I looked all over the durned garage last night and hell if I can find it! I DID find my entire old collection of Led Zeppelin cassettes, but of course that doesn't help much with changing universals.

Meanwhile... Wheeling... how about Sunday? I'll be hauling a parts vehicle up from Altoona on Saturday, not to mention work, so that day's mostly out (you could come along to help me load and unload the heap if you're feeling daring).
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2003, 11:50 AM
Mud in my Veins

I saw a trick not long ago for getting those "oem" joints/caps out. They're enevitably rusted or seized to the ears after several years (mine *must* be the originals! [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] ).
If you have access to a pneumatic hammer (air chisel w/ blunt bit), all it takes is a few burps and everything is laying in the floor! Had to be the easiest time removing cruded in caps ever. Hopefully it will be available when I change mine out in a few weeks. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2003, 05:39 PM

That air hammer idea is great, also pb blaster works wonders on seized up u-joints, i'm starting to wonder what pb blaster doesn't work wonders on.

BarrelRoll
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2003, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

well after one evening i got one side done. it went ok, except that i couldn't get the old univeral out. i had to use a cutting wheel and cut 2 of the sides off, then use a torch to heat it to get the caps off. theres gotta be an easier way! anyone?

thanks all
shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode