LOCKRIGHT VS. EZ-LOCKER??/ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2003, 11:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

LOCKRIGHT VS. EZ-LOCKER??/

alright guys......i've got some good infor for my model 20 rear. I have already purchased 4.88 gears, as well as 1piece moser axles for it.... NOW>>>>>WHICH LOCKER DO YOU GUYS RECOMMEND B/W these two..... EZ locker??? or Lock Right????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2003, 12:20 PM

Re: LOCKRIGHT VS. EZ-LOCKER??/

I seem to recall that ez-locker has a manufacturor's recommendation limiting maximum tire size to 31".

Lockright has a really good reputation, including their 2 year warranty and warranty service department. I have broken the alignment pins in mine when I spun a hub.

On the other hand, some place that advertises in Peterson's 4 wheel and off road (drivetrain warehouse??) has a no questions asked lifetime warranty on their products, including I believe ez-locker and their own boxed version of it.

If you are spending the money on gears, personally I'd get the detroit locker. Yeah, it's $150.00 approx more, but it is much stronger. There's a lot of clunking and banging in an ez or lockright, and that noise must mean something is taking a hammering. I hear no such noise with the detroit (softlocker). Most all the detroits are now softlocker except the corporate 14 which doesnt have room for the cushioning.

I'd rank em for reliability:

1)detroit locker
2)lockright
3) ez locker

Course I have no experience with no. 3, just second hand stories of gear teeth grinding flat.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2003, 01:37 PM
Old Hand

I have run all three.

I had problems with the EZ lockers (broke 3 in about 2 years). The lockright I ran never broke, but both are pretty noisy.

I've always thought they are a decent solution if you already are running the right gears/carrier, but if you are having to set-up gears, it's like paying for 80% of the whole job and getting 50% value.

If you go that route, make sure you have a good warranty.....I ended up getting free replacements on the EZ lockers and eventually got my money back, so while it was a hassle, it didn't cost any $$.

I'm currently running Detroit lockers (softlockers) f&r and think they are great. I consider them 3 to 4 times better from a usability standpoint, and noise, and general handling, but they are a little more money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2003, 02:40 PM
Enthusiast

In my club, we've broken 8 EZs, 1 lockright, 1 ARB, 1 miller, and a spool. Most of us run lockrights or real detroits. But putting the welding rod to it is getting more popular. I don't think anybody still has an EZ. I'd like to see how the quicklock is holding up for people. Its only $220.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2003, 12:08 PM

good luck getting the lockright manufacture to honor that warenty http://bbs.off-road.com/ubbthreads/s...31&fpart=1 [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2003, 01:08 PM

I don`t have any expierence with the E-Z locker. None either with the detroit locker, Personally. I do know
alot of people who have run the detroit locker though and they are next to indestructable. I do have
expierence with the Powertrax Lock-Right and No-Spin. The Lock-Right started life in a rear D-44 in my `72
CJ5. It lived through a broken carrier. Then it was installed in a high-pinion D-44 I had built for the rear
of the same Jeep. The Lock-Right also lived through the total destruction of the H/P- 44 when the head of
the pinion gear sheared off and flew through the side of the housing. It currently resides inside a broken
D-44 front Scout housing that used to be in the same Jeep. It will soon be moving to a different front
Scout housing to go back in my Jeep. By the way, I have a brand new D-44 Lock-Right that I bought
because I figured for sure it would be junk when it came out of the H/P- 44. Compareing the two, I would
defy you to find wear in the old unit. They look the same. Whats been said about their making noise is
true. When my H/P-44 gave up I put together a D-60 and installed a 35 spline Powertrax No-Spin. It`s
been in there for just over a year with no problems and NO noise. I think for the price neither of them can
be beat. Also, I didn`t mention the fact that the previosly talked about Lock-Right was in the Jeep when
I bought it. So it took the abuse of the P/O before it came to me. In summery I would say if you have
the money, Buy Detroit Lockers. If you want a less expensive alternative, Go with the Powertrax Lock-
Right or No-Spin.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2003, 01:36 PM

The 2nd prior post points out that Richmond Gear has acquired Powertraxx, the makers of the Lockright. I'm not sure I see the problem with that. Are they refusing to warranty the units? Has the warranty been downgraded? Could you explain your beef with the company further?

I have been led to believe that various axles using the lockright have had varying success. I'd heard the suzuki one was problematic. I've only heard good things about the model for the jeeps, model 20/30/44. I hope the posts regarding suzuki problems is not indicative of a lower quality product being made by Powertraxx since it was acquired by Richmond. My lockright experience was in my daily driver and also off road jeep. Off road, it left nothing to be desired. Failure after years of use occured simultaneous with the hub spinning on my 2 pce amc20 axle. The only damage to the lockright were the shearing off of the 1/4 alignment pins. No damage to the lockright itself. The teeth were still good on the dog clutch and not rounding off. Horsepower was a stock 258, tires 31's and 33's. Gearing 3.5(1??) at the time. Given the same situation, I would have bought the lockright again. Regearing and needing a new carrier plus gear setup, I am glad I got the detroit.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2003, 05:34 PM

i have been told by people other than richmond gear people that they are not i am still being told that they are waiting on parts but the vendors are getting theirs rocky road acording to their sale on ebay just got 150 of them yet i still wait if they make a samurai locker owner wait they are probably going to make everyone else wait if they get their parts ever http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33728

http://bbs.off-road.com/ubbthreads/s...31&fpart=1
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2003, 06:07 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I'm not a fan of lunchbox lockers.

But hearing richmond bought power-trax is scary. If they make the lockers like there gears, the lockers wont last one trip. Richmond gears suck and well that should be enough said.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2003, 10:06 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I'd have to say most of the problems with Powertrax lockers in the Sami's was due to improper setup, or depth problems in the carriers . I've set up 5 of them , they work flawlessly . So far , the one on the rear of mine has snapped off two axles , and lived through a destroyed r&p set . Even done a few wheelies with it ...
Sarge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode