Anybody done the E350 master cylinder swap? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2003, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Anybody done the E350 master cylinder swap?

Thanx to some helpful info posted here - I have been searching all over about improving my rear disc setup (88YJ w/ stock front discs and front Monte Carlo discs on the rear D35). Several folks have done the Ford E350 master cylinder swap and have liked it - but they mostly had drums in the rear.

I currently have a POS Master Power Brakes master cylinder that works but I have to really stand on it to get it to stop (It has a 1" bore but I don't think that is any larger than the stock Jeep one- they recommended it). I have chunked the factory combination valve and replaced it with a tee for the front brakes and an adjustable proportioning valve for the rear.

Just wanted to hear some feedback....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2003, 08:29 PM

Re: Anybody done the E350 master cylinder swap?

Check the POR board, as there was considerable discussion on this swap.

There are individuals who swear by this modification, even for rear drums.

Personally, I only believe it would make a difference if a lack of volume of fluid movement is the problem due to larger diameter rear disks or wheel cylinders. And that may be the case, comparing the small diameter of a wheel cylinder to a disk brakes caliper piston. If there is sufficient volume, a larger diameter master cylinder will in fact decrease system pressure and make the problem worse.

If lack of pressure is the issue, then I would suggest swapping to a dual diaphragm brake booster from an 80's gm car or truck. These provide twice the power assist.

There has also been mention of a corvette master cylinder as it was made for 4 wheel disks.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2003, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Re: Anybody done the E350 master cylinder swap?

Tim...
I may not have made myself clear. If the "slave" piston size increases the master piston size must also increase to keep the pressure constant. Volume is more an issue of stroke length. I am going from rear discs to bigger rear discs - volume is a small issue.

I beleive that since the surface area of the slave has increased, the surface area of the master must also increase...right?

Hank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode