Two part question from a Jeep very very newbie. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2003, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Two part question from a Jeep very very newbie.

Im looking at a 97 Jeep now. Its been lifted with what looks like a pro-comp lift "?" I have no idea, and it has an Auto transmission. It does have the 4.0 6 in it so im guessing that is a good thing and I love that fuel injection!!!

#1, are the 97 jeeps fairly strong out of the box? and do the automatics hold up ok wheeling? Ive looked high and low localy for a jeep and cant find squat that hasnt had the crap kicked out of it so ive decided to maybe go with something a bit newer and do the crap kicking myself. Im very unfamiliar with Jeeps period let alone the newer ones.

#2 Are there any specifics I should look into before buying this new of a jeep? Is the gearing low enough to do a slow crawl through the woods without problems? I also noticed that the transfer case wiggled around when grabbing it and shaking it around. Is that common?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2003, 08:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Two part question from a Jeep very very newbie.

as far as the jeep being strong in stock form thay can really take some abuse and the automatics are the chrylser 999 and that is pretty strong
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2003, 08:23 PM

It sounds like it's stock except for a lift. I don't know much about the new generation of TJs but if the price is reasonable, it is in good shape and has relatively low miles, I don't think you can go wrong. I do know that they went to all coil springs instead of the leaf springs the CJ and YJ have. I hear that this improved the ride and also articulation off road. But the suspension is also much more complex than the old leaf springs. There is very good parts support in the aftermarket world for buth YJs and TJs. The only reservation I would have is the auto transmission. I think that manual transmissions give you much better control on the trails.

I personally went for an old (37 years to be exact) and mostly stock CJ because I wanted to work on it and I wanted it to be very simple and straight forward. Whatever the case, this sounds like a good entry-level Jeep and has the potential to be built up.

As for the wiggle in the transfer case, it should have some minor flex because it is attached to the frame with rubber mounts, but there should be no clunking when you tug on it. If there is, a mount is probably broken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2003, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

I ended up buying it at 12k 13k Out the door. Hoping thats a good price. It seems like a nice Jeep overall.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2003, 06:08 PM

Neurosis, sounds like you already had your mind made up but wanted some confirmation that you were doing the right thing... The best way to learn about off roading and Jeeps is to get involved with friends or a group, read a lot and drive a lot in the dirt. This BB has some great info and the SWB section has some very good technical articles. My favorite parts suppliers are:

1) My local independent parts store
2) JC Whitney
3) 4 Wheel Parts Wholesalers
4) Quadratech

Don't forget to tread lightly and set a good example for all of us who enjoy the off roading sport responsibly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode