sm465 swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2003, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

sm465 swap

Well, I still keep thinking about using my built 350 in my 74 CJ. Feel better about it then the questionable 258. I keep reading that the sm465 is a good tranny that'll work pretty well in the CJ. I might have an opportunity to get one with a NP205 already on it. Is this a good TC an how much modification will I be looking at to fit it in? I have the 258/ T-14/ D20 setup right now.

Thanks,

Bryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2003, 04:11 PM
Enthusiast

Re: sm465 swap

205 is one of the strongest.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2003, 04:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

np 205 is very strong only downside is a fairly high low range. sm 465 replaced the sm420 and is probably as strong as any trans you can put in it. I run a sm465 and np205 in my 79 chevy truck pretty heavily built 350 I've spit out a rear end and blew up a clutch trans and t/c just ask for more. Reliability in a jeep won't be a problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2003, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Thanks, glad to here it's a solid TC. My only concern is whether I'll have to do much by way of mounting or driveshaft changes. Not sure how the lengths compare to what I have now.

Thanks
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2003, 06:49 PM

Everyone`s right about the NP-205 being a strong T-case, Low range suck`s like the D-20 though. While
the 205 is a great T-case, Your problem is going to be getting it in your `74. It isn`t going to fit, It`s just
to big.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2003, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

OK, realized it was a np203, not a 205. But I think you're right. After looking further into the size, it does look like it'll be too big. Will the D20 stand up to a 350 with a sm465? The adapter is pretty pricy in Advanced, but if the D20 will handle it, I might try it.

Thanks

Bryan
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2003, 09:15 PM

The Dana 20 behind my warm 401 and T-18 has been trouble free since I had over-hauled 3 yrs. ago.The
only reason I had it went through was that the P/O had done a "Back-yard" rebuild and I could tell it
needed attention. The Dana 20 has been around a long time and been used in ALOT of vehicles. The
only brawback of it is the low range gear ratio. You may want to check out what Novak says about them
on their website, www.novak-adapt.com. The Dana 300 may be a choice for you too, Depending on if you
can find one reasonable. I haven`t looked at the adapter prices, But since you have to have an adapter
anyway it may cost just as much to do the 300 swap, And you would end up with a better T-case, Low
range and strength wise. I believe they have a 2.4 or 2.6 low range. The great thing about the D-20 is
the plentiful parts, And you can usually find them cheap. There are also a couple companies making
low range kits for them also. I`m planning on the Tera-Low 3.15 kit for mine this summer.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2003, 09:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

ok this is off the subject but dose any one know what kind of power the dana 18 can handle????
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2003, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Thanks, I have an uncle who might have access to discounted rebuilt sm465's, so with my 350 moderately built I hope this will be a good combination. Being pretty green with most of this, I'm learning as I go. Just frusterating not knowing alot about the stuff I have just bought. Glad to hear that the D20 should handle the "umph" that I'll throw at it. Not planning on doing much "rockcrawling" as I live in Nebraska, but we do have great riverbottoms and the sandhills out west.

Seems funny now that I'm gonna end up spending more on the tranny combination then I did on the whole Jeep, but that's a price I'll save for to get this thing hummin'.

I plan on getting some pics on here as soon as it warms up a little and I can really start tackling this project.

Thanks again,

Bryan

[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2003, 11:06 PM

When I was younger, I worked for a guy that was a very active member of a 4wd club in Tacoma
Washington, I don`t remember what club. My boss and 2 other club members ran flat fender Jeeps with
Buick V-6`s and Dana-18`s, Don`t remember what tranny`s. Two of those V-6`s were assembled by
a local machinist that was known for his work on hydroplane race boats, His name was Dick Rupe. I
watched Dick build both of those V-6`s, They were balanced & blueprinted with 13:1 forged pop-up
pistons, Gear timing, Big cam, Full port and polish on the heads with oversize stainless valves, Aluminum
4 bbl. intakes with Holley 750 double pumpers and headers. I don`t know what kind of H/P those motors
put out, But when you stuck your foot in them they sounded like a swarm of bee`s. I watched those
Jeeps raced at alot of functions, They ran them on barrel courses, O/B courses, And drags. The only
thing they ever seemed to break were axels. So to answer your question, I would say they can take a
fair amount of abuse because those V-6`s were no where near stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode