Is the Rubicon worth the $? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 11:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Is the Rubicon worth the $?

I've been seriously looking into the new Tj's and was wondering if you guys think it is worth all the extra cash or would it be smarter to go with a sport or an X and build it myself?? Also what do you guys think of the new automatic in the 2003's?
Thanks,
Roadking
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 11:37 PM

Re: Is the Rubicon worth the $?

I had the good fortune of test driving a rubi the other day... I was at my not-so-friendly chrysler dealer picking up some parts and the sales person decided he was going to harass me... so i wasted a bit of his time and took the rubicon out for a spin. Naturally, I didn't exactly take it out on the trail, but I was definetly impressed... The Rubi is a steal at 26k, only a couple grand more than a sport...

What you really have to consider is this: do you want something that is capable of hitting the trail out of the box? I don't... I've had my YJ for a while now and I can honestly say the best part about owning it has been slowly building it up, dealing with the issues that come up every now and then... Chasing down little tiny problems that I probably will never even catch [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] ... But, on the other hand, if you don't have the time/space to build it up yourself, then by all means buy a rubi.....
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2003, 01:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have not had the pleasure of driving one however i feel if i would bye a new jeep it would be a rubicon. I now yeah alot of the fun is building it up but man every head start you can get take it. The rubicon is not perfect so your buiding up still takes place just not as many dollars later on. as for the auto i don't know I don't like an automatic trans in anything so i probably shouldn't comment on it. They rob power and mileage not to mention the feel of driving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2003, 08:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dont forget the Guaranty!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2003, 01:11 AM
Old Hand

This is a very timely question.....

I just got home from wheeling the entire day at a place in So. Cal. called Los Coyotes. I went with my friend (TJ, 35s, locked f&r) and his dad who was taking his stock Rubicon Wrangler on it's maiden voyage.

I was amazed at how well it did the entire day. The sway bar was even attached and it still had the stock suspension and tires. I think they are worth every penny, especially if you are in the market for a new wrangler.

I love my scrambler, but I will have to say I was a little jealous of my friend's dad and his comfortable ride to and from the trail.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2003, 09:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks guys for your replys, I drove two the other day, an automatic and a stick. I fell in love!!! The stick is more fun, but it will also be a daily driver so I'm still debating on the auto or the stick, but I'm leaning towards the stick. [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2003, 10:57 AM

Wow the trails at Los Coyotes must be much easier than the Rubicon Trail. I went into the trail with about 20 Rubicons last summer, that were fitted out for the Jambo guys. They were set up with 32" tires, and they struggled baddly, in fact they would be hard pressed to make the trip if the trail hadnt been rock stacked to just shy of being paved.
The Rubicon in my opinion is a good rig if the price is somewhere around the 24K that DC projected as SRP, and if the prospective owner does not plan to go beyond the 33" tire range. After that I would say that mods to make it worthy wheeler would not offset the original costs.
One thing to consider, they have very poor ground clearance, and high quality lift kits for the TJ, cost an arm and a leg.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2003, 01:30 PM
Enthusiast

What a bargain! You get locked Dana 44's front and rear plus a 4:1 tranny. That's easily $5,000 in aftermarket upgrades.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2003, 06:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Decesions, decesions [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2003, 09:01 PM

If you consider that most of us have a fortune invested in older Jeeps that look like crap, $26k doesn't seem like a fortune anymore. I read a report in Off Road Adventures (the 4 Wheel Parts Warehouse Magazine) on the Rubicon a few months ago. Their only gripe was clearance because it comes with 31" tires. Everything else was praise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode