thinking of buying scout, got questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 03:36 PM
81cj5

thinking of buying scout, got questions

I found a 66 scout 800 near my house. I looked at it and asked the guy about it. It is stock with a pretty good body, it has the IH four cylinder, a 4spd with granny gear, a twin stick xfercase, and everything works.Here are my ?'s: is the IH 4 banger a reliable/good motor? is the tranny a t18? what xfer case would this be? what is the front axle? he also claimed that all 4 wheels would pull, is this possible since it is stock? He said 1000 bucks takes it, so please any info appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 03:46 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: thinking of buying scout, got questions

you mightfind some answers here:

http://www.binderbulletin.org/faq/index.htm
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 08:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The 4 banger is a decent engine, not very powerful but the 5.38 gears make up for it. The tranny should be a t-90 3 spd but a four speed could have been an option (t-18). The front axle is more than likely a Dana 25. The t-case is a Dana 18. A body that isn't beat to [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] is hard to come by. Check the Fuel Tanks, they'll rust out bad. It's an excellent wheelin machine, a little slow but it'll climb a wall or push it down. Try starting the bidding at $800 and go from there.

P.S. The engine is just a V304 cut in half. You could buy a 304 rebuild kit and build the 152 TWICE! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 08:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

About all i can say is the IH four is a very good reliable engine. $1000 for a "decent" body sounds kinda high. but you'll have to be the judge of that. i actaully bought one a few years back i had it for a grand total of two days so i don't remember much about it. make him put it in four wheel drive and show you all four pulling.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 10:45 PM
81cj5

thanx for the replies guys, but this brings up 2 more questions(sorry).1. 5.38 gears, really? 2. the dana 18 xfer case- can't a PTO winch work? Thanks again.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2003, 09:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

A PTO winch or a Warn/Saturn overdrive. A 304 or 345 is a bolt-in swap (get the flywheel with the engine, the 4's and V8's balance differently) Well worth it. The IH V8's are torqy, strong and smooth, and remarkably easy on gas. Good luck, sounds like a great little truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode