Anyone running this driveline on their CJ5... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Anyone running this driveline on their CJ5...

James' post on Driveline /'s got me thinking about mine. I'm getting ready to swap my T-150 with a T-18. So I was wondering if anyone is running the following set up and let me know what they did for their drive shafts

304/T-150 bellhousing/CJ T-18/D20/AMC20.

My long term plan is to also go SOA, so any thoughts there would be appreciated.

my thoughts are either do the SOA and T-18 at the same time and have Driveshaft work done One time as opposed to Once for tranny swap and again after SOA.

Any comments or suggestions appreciated...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 03:06 PM
Pooh-Bah

Re: Anyone running this driveline on their CJ5...

I had that set-up before. I did the SOA first and lengthed my drivelines to fit the lift. When I later swapped to the longer T18, I ended up going back to the stock driveline that was in the CJ5 when I had the 3 speed for the rear and went ahead and bought a new long slip one for the front to replace previously lengthened one.
If you can wait to do the swap and SOA at the same time I would way and have the driveline work done once.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I just got off the phone a few minutes ago talking to a buddy who just did the same with his CJ7. as it ends up, he pulled a t-18 froma CJ5 and swapped his T-150 for it. so he was looking at going the opposite route as I am.... kinda works out good for both of us! he gets my T-150 CJ5 driveshafts and I get his Old T-18 CJ5 driveshafts from his parts jeep! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

What I'm wondering about now is my rear driveshaft agnle after the SOA. It's gonna be pretty steep! From anyones experiences is a single Ujoint at each end gonna work for me, or would I be better off going double on the Tcase end and rotate the axle?

thanks for the reply PBM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 04:01 PM
Pooh-Bah

I guess I forgot the interim cv driveline I had. When I swapped in the T18 I went with a cv shaft because of the angles. I had a lot of problems with the cv shaft (yes it was set-up correctly) and so I cut the perches off, rotated the axle down some (split the difference of pointed at the t-case and parallel) and used the stock CJ5 shaft. I didn't have any more failures, and had a little vibration around 35-45 mph, but since it wasn't a DD I just lived with the vibrations instead of failing cv shafts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode