Driveline Whoa's:( - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Driveline Whoa\'s:(

So I decided to put my rear driveline in tonight. Um, I dunno if it's gonna work I'm going to need to reset the rear angle with either shims(probably go this route), or re-weld the perches. Does it look like if I do this, that it will spin freely without too bad of vibes? Or should I just bite the bullet and move on ahead with the D300(which is pretty much inevitable)? Thanks!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1032029-driveangle1.jpg (78.8 KB, 16 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 12:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Driveline Whoa\'s:(

I ain't no professional on this one, but it sure as hell looks like a mighty severe angle to me.
Shims might help, but if I''m not wrong, I think some welding will have to be done here.
But wait for other oppinions...

It looks like some serious lift there (I looked at the pic again). I compared a friend's YJ, lifted 3", with my own (still stock), and his angle wasn't so severe. I'd say it was 1/2 of yours, and he was having some serious vibrations there. Being SOA, I guess you have at least 5" (just the SOA), plus those higher leaf-springs... IMHO, get your welder to working temp [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 01:11 AM

You will tear up your H bar on the CV joint, the 1st time you flex your suspension,(if it even makes it to the trail head). That angle is way to high, and it doesnt look like you will fix it very substantialy even rotating the diff upwards 6 degrees or more(the pinion is just not long enough on the D44 to make that much difference. One question, what springs are you running? and why is your T case so high, in the rig?
You have some issues there Jammy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 01:43 AM
scubajeep93

that's pretty sick looking....you need to at minimum get your pinion up to point it at the tcase...i'd also recommend meetiing it halfway by dropping the tcase down, or using a shorter tcase. it will bind. cv joint will not last long in that situation.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 07:37 AM

If you are going to point the pinion at the T case, then you need to get rid of the CV joint and just go with a standard U joint. The CV joint is supposed to be ran with fairly similar angles at both ends, in order for the CV joint to cancle out the rotational harmonics of the U joints.
There are CV joints out there that are capable of handeling those types of angles, you could give Jesse at High Angle driveline a call.
But the question still remains, of why Jammy has such steep driveline angles. Building an SOA suspension, on a stock wheelbase length, is not like reinventing the wheel.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 07:48 AM
Pooh-Bah

With a CV drivesahft, the pinion should be pointed at the T-case. It is a regular driveshaft that needs the opposite but equal angles to cancel harmonics. The nature of the CV end cancels them on its own.
I know most of the readers know this info, but HERE is a good link to setting up your drivelines and chasing down vibes.
As for Jam's setup, is the weight of the jeep on the springs?
It is really steep, maybe a 2" drop on the T-case and rotating the pinion up to point at the T-case output would get you something you could drive until the Dana 300 swap? [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 07:49 AM

Is that the lowest your transfer will go? My buddy cut me some 1 1/4 inch long tubes (6) and I used those to drop mine. Also got some longer bolts. [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 07:58 AM

Yeah that sounds right on the driveline vibration dynamics. What can I say, it was 5:00 am here in No Cal, Ive had no coffee, and I havent fabbed a rig that needs excelent road characteristics in the last couple of years. I stand corrected [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 01:38 PM
M38

That looks exactly like my angles except I haven't bit the bullet on the CV yet, are you guys saying that CV won't last

I do have so Vibs but thier very unusual It only vibrates when feathering the gas pedal or letting off the gas, never under acceleration

I've been pretty sure I goofed the ring and pinion, then a couple of guys said the noise was all in the driveshaft,

now you guys say thts no good either

What could be my problem If you don't mind me butting in on the post

clint
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 02:19 PM

What did you get that cv off? Any sense in trying it by hand with the tc in neutral and the shaft off the rearend to see how far it can drop before it binds?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode