questions about swampers - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

questions about swampers

I'm gonna buy some tires soon and have a few questions?I'm looking at TSL, TSL radial,and TSL sx.I hear the sx is the most aggresive and strong.What is the difference between the sx and the TSL.The TSL radial is only 3 dollars more than the TSL.Are the radials as aggresive as the bias ply's?The more information I can get the better. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 06:53 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: questions about swampers

The SX's have more sidewall lugs, and are in fact a little stronger than the TSL's But they don't come in all of the same sizes as the TSL's do. The run wider than the TSL does.

The TSL radials are just that. Radials, they are just a little stiffer, and are a better tire for a lot of road driving. The don't flat spot as much as a non rad. However they do still flat spot.

The non Rad will flex a little better at low PSI, and when driven on the road, and left over night in the cold will flat spot. They are all good tires. If you drive on the street go for the radials, if it is a trail only jeep, get the not radials, if you have the extra $$ get the SX's
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 06:55 AM

I run radials and the radials will give you a better road ride with no flat spots when you leave it sitting. Which is not a big deal to some people. The sx's has the strongest sidewall of the TSL line. But I have been completely happy with the radials.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 07:25 AM
KEG
Apprentice

Radials also will tend to last longer. Bias ply tires build up more heat during operation, due to their bias ply construction. Heat destroys the matrix that holds all the tire's components together. The manufacturer does not want the tire to fly apart before the tread wears out, so they have to make the tread wear out before the tire fails. Radials build less heat during operation, so the manufacturers can put longer lasting tread on radials. As far as which one is better offroad, I do not have a clue. I only run BFGs and they only build radials.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input.I really like the sx's but i dont see running a 15.5 in. tire for a 33.I went to the swamper website and it says the LTB has a longer lug.So now I'm deciding between a LTB 33x13.5 and a TSL radial 33x12.5.I don't drive my jeep on the road much but I would like to go maybe 50 miles one way on the pavement.Does anyone have any experience with the LTB.Is it more aggresive than the radial?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 01:05 PM
47WillysCJ2A

Here's a test I found on the LTB Swampers I hope it helps. Swamper LTB Test
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 02:03 PM
JeepSage77

I've got the 33x13.50 LTB's and the road characteristics are a lot better than i anticipated. I've only put about 200-300 miles on them so far, so I don't have a feel for wear issues yet. Flat spots don't seem to be much of a problem; probably because I've got a relatively light Jeep and I think flat spots occur more on the 36"+ sizes. Off-road characteristics have been great. Bottomline: LTB's are good. (and 100-120 bucks cheaper per set than the TSL radials)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies especially 47willys.I believe I'm going for the 33x13.5 LTB's.The price is right and they sound like great tires.I like the way they look and performance should be awesome.I'm running BFG M/T's and these LTB's should perform much better in the gumbo.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 03:53 PM
Mud in my Veins

DanStew runs them and has nothing but praise for them. Several folks locally are looking at them also.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 04:18 PM

I talked to an off-road shop and they told me they were junk, and did not want to sell them to anybody. If you want a set they try to talk you out of the LTB's. We have a lot of mud around here so that could have something to do with it. I was looking at them and thought that they looked good,but the center is tighter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode