tire size for dana 44s - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

tire size for dana 44s

whats the biggest tires you would run on dana 44s with a 300hp v8 turning them? now im not going to be off road everytime i drive it, it will be a daily driver for about a year or so. are 38s out of the question? or maybe 37s, i dunno if it really makes a diff or not. thanks [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 03:57 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Re: tire size for dana 44s

I believe 38's are pushing it QUITE hard. Especially with your power. I'm running 35's on mine and haven't had a problem yet. I'm probably gonna try running 37's, but I have a smaller motor and keep off the stupid pedal quite a bit.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 07:03 AM
Keyboard Implanted

In a light rig like a SWB Jeep, I think that 35's, 36's are about right for a D44... But you know the old story.... Someone knows someone who busted a D44 with 33's, someone else knows someone who runs 42" tires on theirs and hasn't have a problem.
I would say 35's are good. 36's are OK 37's ahhhh just be smart about what you do with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 08:01 AM

...like Olin says - you meet people who never break and people who always break no matter what tires/engine/trans/axle they use.
Too many variables.

IMHO - some Important points to consider for what you propose -

maintenance habits
use
driving style
locked front
locked rear
ability to know when 'limit' is reached ...and to care what that means ...and to deal with ribbing from buddies because you backed off
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 06:58 PM
Cutch

I'm running 35's with my dana 44's right now.

Going to move up to 37's but will upgrade the axleshafts for added security.

I'm running a 4.0.

I would think that with a 350/stock axleshafts/38's you would be pushing the envelope.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 07:44 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I have been running 35s on mine for years and have not had any problems. I upgraded to the Moser axles after my friend twisted the splines on his 44 with the 35s. My 304 does not have the power his built 360 has. I think 37s would be alright if you stay off the pedal and don't do anything silly.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2003, 12:12 PM
ArkyCrawler

WEEEEEEELLLLLL, I'm running 38x12.5x15's on beadlocks. I have a 350/carb sm420 and 4:11's. I've broke 3 shafts and all 3 were because of the skinny pedal and the wheels turned one way or the other. I had now problems on straight climbs its always with the wheels turned. Opps, one time while hung up on a rock the size of a VW and tried to back off of it. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]. If I had the money I would spend the $800-900 for CMT's and good shafts but that would mean Id need a new wife. If I had a new wife then I could get a DANA 60! [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]

Steve
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2003, 02:42 PM

I am with Arky. I am gonna run my Boggers on my 3/4 ton D44. I will scatter a few joints and stock axles then pony up for some Warn's or Moser's. But all my buddies tell me a drive their grandmother! But my response to that is how many speeding tickets do you have?? [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img] LOL
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2003, 07:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

In a Magazine i read that 35 was the maximum for Dana44 with Low-gears, Lockers, and/or many Ponys [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode