E-Brake? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

E-Brake?

My E-Brake is not working very well. It only holds my jeep on slight inclines/declines. It seems to be engaging all the way and the cable doesnt looked stretched. Is there anything I can do to fix this, I kinda need it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 10:39 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: E-Brake?

First thing to check is your rear brakes. Are they worn down? The e-brake works by engaging your rear brake shoes against the drum (or the disc, if you have rear discs) and thus hold the vehicle.

If the rear shoes are worn down alot the e-brake may be engaged as far as it can go and thus not effectively working.

Also if your shoes ar ok, your rear brake adjuster may not be working. Most rear brake adjuster adjust your pads to make up for the wear and thus keep your brakes engaging fully. Most adjusters work when you back your vehicle up and hit the brake pedal, when you hit the brake pedal, an actuator turns the star wheel on your brakes and adjusts your brakes outward some. You can check this when you take off your drum to inspect your shoes, turn the star wheel to adjust your shoes out to where they just barely touch your drum when you put it back on.

The other issue could be with your cable, there is usually an adjustment on the cable that allows you to tighten or loosen the cable. Maybe your cable is loose and not working very well, you can adjust the cable to tighten it up and it will further engage your e-brake.

Check the condition of your shoes and brake adjustment before you mess with the cable to make sure they are ok.

Hope this makes sense ans helps.

kerryp
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 12:49 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Your profile says that you have 36" tires on a rear D35. It does say super 35, but the super 35 does nothing to make the breaks any better.
The D35 has very small shoes. And a very small drum Diameter. If you have ever seen a D44 or D60 drum next to a D35 drum, you know what I am talking about. The small Breaks shoes have a limited surface area. Your 36 inch tires are providing the groud WAY too much leverage agenst the breaks. The Dana 35 was designed to hold the Jeep with 27 inch tires on it. You just don't have enough break surface area to hole on to.
Even if your breaks a in perfect working order they are iffy at best. But once they get just a little out of wack they will just not work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 01:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
The Dana 35 was designed to hold the Jeep with 27 inch tires on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, does this mean that 30" or 31" tires are way too big for a D35?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 02:26 AM

No, but it means that 36's are.

It's run on a percentage.. sort of
Example (not real numbers)

27" = 100% effective.

36" = 20% effective

33" = 50% effective..

maybe then on a 6 deg incline you need 30% breaking power to keep your jeep still.. then it will work with 33s and not with 36's

Either way, I always put it in gear.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 06:47 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, I will check the shoes to see if they are worn, but I think the cable is fine casue I already adjusted that. This is not a major problem cause I do leave it in gear when its off, but it wont hold if I want to leave it running on a steep grade. I know that the D35 is no match for my 36's, but its held up thus far. Atleast Im not running 38's like a buddy of mine was.(now he runs 37's)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 10:54 PM
81cj5

Ahhh, i remember back when i had an e brake.....wait i've never had one on the cj.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode