FYI!

Spot Welder:

MIG Welder:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 12:14 PM
Journeyman

Re: O/T Homemade Welders!

I have often wondered if I could hook up the welding leads from my Lincoln AC/DC 225/125 stick welder (dc polarity of course) to the leads of my 120v Sears mig welder. Yes, I would disconnect the gun from the mig welder power and just use it for wire feed.

Gary M
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 12:59 PM

I've thought about the same thing as I have a similar setup. I was considering putting some welders connects on the outside of the mig welder so that I could plug it into my AC/DC stick welder and use that as the power supply when needed and disconnect the internal supply from the gun. I have one of those old "Pocket Migs" from Cebora (Itallian made), that I bought back in the 80's when they first came out. Amazingly it still works. I thought I killed it this summer when for the first time I overheated it, tacking together my trailer project. Luckily it was just a thermal cutoff inside and it came back to life after cooling down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 03:19 PM
Can't Get Enough

Add em to the list of people thinking about wire feed. I am finishing up an onboard welder project (welds great) and was wondering if it would be possible to run wire with it. Guess time will tell.
[img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 03:22 PM
KEG
Apprentice

TiminMb,

Does you MIG welder have a cooling fan inside?

My little MIG welder used to kick out on thermal all the time. It did not have a cooling fan inside. I drilled some holes and mounted a small 120vac box fan in it. Since then it has never kicked out. The air never seems hot coming out of the vents like it was before the fan mod.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 03:26 PM

That's an excellant suggestion. I'll have to keep my eyes open for one, as I'd hate to damage the transformer. Can the typical "Muffin" fans handle the dusty environment in which my welder resides? I've never even opened it up, it's probably pack full of accumulated dust from umpteen years in the garage and deserves a blast from the air hose.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 04:12 PM

Our local surplus store has large, high current diodes and I'd once thought about building my own welder. I found a link on the web about winding the transformer. I know a guy that built a tig unit for himself out of an a/c welder, built the rectification circuit and the high frequency generator for starting the arc. Not sure if he built a foot operated heat controller. I used to have access to a lot of nice surplus electronics for cheap when I worked for the phone company, and large heavy duty parts were available from the surplus department for the price of their weight in scrap. Now that kind of stuff is harder and harder to get and I find even our local suppliers don't carry in stock large heat sinks and other parts that I could get for next to free. I guess fewer devices are being made that use those kind of components. We had stuff there from microwave installations and exchanges that were full of large caps, diodes, transformers, heat sinks, crt displays, etc. Ah, the good old days. Hey Leve, you're a Ham too right? You must have built your share of homebrew?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 04:24 PM

That project is awesome. And he even built the mig gun!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Way Outta Control

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Hey Leve, you're a Ham too right? You must have built your share of homebrew?

[/ QUOTE ]1. Yep, KB9QCT.
2. I've built quite a lot of stuff out of need rather than fun..
3. I'm not an expermenter at heart.
4. But if I can build something rather than buy it,
5. That's the way I go, be it mechanical or electrical. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 07:00 AM
KEG
Apprentice

TiminMb,

I think a small "muffin" fan would be more than adequate. The magnetron in my Wife's microwave went out and she asked me to fix it. After sitting in my shop for several months I salvaged the stirrer fan from it and put it in my welder. I told her the micro was economically unrepairable and to buy a new one. This fan has a little motor with the blades mounted on the shaft protruding from the motor. I have 1/4" of clearance past the blades before the components of the welder. A muffin fan would give more clearance. I just wired it to the load side of the main switch and have not had a problem since installation. I also like the new microwave my Wife picked up, makes great popcorn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode