this my be a dumb qustion - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 10:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

this my be a dumb qustion

ok im planing to get a sm465 tranny and use a novak adapter(sp?)to a dana 300 would like to know if there are any versions of the dana 300 that wont work? thanks for the help [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 12:45 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Re: this my be a dumb qustion

As far as I know, the adapter should work on all of them. Only difference I know in D300's is a short shaft one in '80, and a long shaft one there after. They also put some D300's in scouts I believe, and they had a different bolt pattern, so you might want to watch out for those, but they're rare. Anyway, that's about all I know(or think I know)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 06:55 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I am working on the same swap right now. The SM465 to D300 (in my mind) is probably one of the best combos for a Short wheel base Jeep. For the money you get a super drivetrain. I am also doing a D44 swap, So I am going to use a passangers side drop front D44. (thus not needed the flip kit.)
Get a D300 from a CJ, and then call novak, and they have the kit. They actually have two. You can swap the output shaft on the trannie, or you can swap the input on the Tcase. The kit is 3.1" thick. And as a nice little side note, and this is really lucky.
The length measured from the tip of the input shaft on the transmission (sm465) to the rear of the D300 is almost the same length as the Ax-5 NP231. It is with in .8" I am not sure what the length difference is between the AX-5, and the AX-15. But if you have an AX-5 you can do this swap, and keep your front driveshaft. I would assume taht since you are going to the trouble you will go to a CV rear. But if you don't, you can probably reuse the rear too. Or you could run them for a while, until you get new ones. Just a little info I found very useful about that swap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 09:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks for the help i just did not want to buy the d 300 just to find out it won't work [img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img] oh i almost forgot what year of cj should i look for to get the D300?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 06:48 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Oh, no worries about the D300, they work, they work great.
The first year of the D300 was in 1980, and if I remember correctly, in 80 the D300 had a short output. That means it was shorter than all the rest. And the last year of the D300 was in 1986. When they changed over to the YJ, and started using the NP 231. So you can find a 300 under any CJ from 80-86. So some homework, do some looking, and I bet you can find one without too much trouble. I was able to find one for $100, however I haven't yet picked it up, so I do not know if it needs a rebuild. Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode