4bbl vs 2bbl Motorcraft Carb, 360 engine - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

4bbl vs 2bbl Motorcraft Carb, 360 engine

Hi I currently have a amc 360 engine that I will probally be going back to carburated. Just wondering the major differences between the 4bbl and 2bbl motorcraft carbs. How much gas milage will the 4bbl suck up? How much more power?

Right now I just put a brand new edelbrock performer spreadbore intake on. So I am either going to have to get a 4bbl or an adapter and 2bbl. Will the 4bbl bolt right on? do they sell an adapter? where??

I think that I will just have to modify fuel lines again and then put on a new mechanical fuel pump.

thanks for the help. Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 06:56 PM

Re: 4bbl vs 2bbl Motorcraft Carb, 360 engine

have you looked at one of those motorcraft 4bbls? shees, Ive looked a bit at them, and they look strange, Id hate to think I needed to work on or tune one..

thats just from me looking at them in junkyards..but Id try not to run one
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 07:58 PM
RedSandDog

Actually, a 4 barrel and a 2 barrel of equal CFM, properly set up should produce the same power. The 4 barrel should be more economical to drive around town, because you are only using half of the carb most of the time. 4-barrels are nice for the street or running in mud, where you can stomp on it and get that kick in the butt when the secondaries open up. I prefer 2 barrels (probably a throw back to my early days of SCCA club racing with my Dad. Weber 48's Baby!) mostly because they have a nice predictable throtal response, especially for low RPM stuff (rocks). I don't so much want a kick in the butt when I am balanced of camber. I think I may have a MC2100 with 1.21 's if you are looking for something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Thanks for the info. Actually after looking into the prices I wouldnt waste the money on a motorcraft since the edelbrocks and holleys are about that. The main reason I wanted tbi was for climbing. It kind of sucks I will have to go back to carburated. Anyhow, if its what I have to do I was looking at the holley truck avenger for $340 or the edelbrok performer for $260. Anyone have either of these and know what I should get? thanks Mike
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 08:20 PM

my plans include the edlebrock manifold and a Qjet.

ive also got a 2bbl manifold, and 2100 and holley 2300, Ive run the 2bbls before, and I liked them, im going to try the qjet and see if tis good too

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 08:25 PM
RedSandDog

Why are going away from the TBI set up?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Going away from the tbi because it is dumping massive amounts of fuel into the engine. this fuel isnt getting burned and just running down the block and into the oil. I am still trying to fix it but holley hasnt got back to me and no one really knows why. So I might be going back to the good old carb. Mike
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 09:02 PM

Dont give up on the TBI yet, get it working right. That is the : set-up you want!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 05:15 AM
Leigh_Smith

I have had a motorcraft 4bbl on my 304 years ago, it wasn't amazing or anything, just worked ok. Then went to a Holley 4bbl [img]images/graemlins/puke.gif[/img] Now I have an Edelbrock Performer 4bbl on my amc 360. Fairly good power and economy, I had to jet the primaries and secondaries 2 stages lean to control fuel. I recently was lent a Truck avenger to try. It works far better on inclines than an edelbrock but mileage was about 8mpg, To be honest I bolted it on from the box and ran it. I didn't want to change a lot of settings where it was brand new and loaned. The new Edelbrock off-road carb only sounds like it comes with a spring loaded needle valve and minor tweaks. I think the truck avenger would be what I would want to start with if I had to do it all over again.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 05:51 AM

8 MPG with the truck avenger! I run a AMC 360 in my CJ with 33"s, it has a Holley 4barrel Double pump and it gets 11. My next purchase was going to be the Tr. Avenger. But, I dont know, now. [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode