Getting Warn shafts for my D30 - Considerations? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Getting Warn shafts for my D30 - Considerations?

I got permission to order my Warn (Lifetime warrenty) shafts for the front. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I think I am just going to get the Spicer U joints (5760X). I also have debated on getting the internal splice coversion kit from Warn. This is about $270. I can't do that for a while. I have kind of concluded on getting some Superwhinch 5 bolt hubs for $83.00, and using their lifetime warrenty if/when they break. I would hope to create a easy fix "fuse" with those hubs.
1. Is my logic flawed on the superwinch hubs being an "ideal" fuse?
2. Is there anything else I should do while I am replacing the shafts?
3. I assume I should get 27 spline outers. Is there any reason to get the 30 spline outers. If so, what would I have to do to make the 30 spline fit? Worth it?

Thanks,

Kirk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 05:42 PM

Re: Getting Warn shafts for my D30 - Considerations?

To use the 30 spline axels, You either have to buy Warn spindles or have yours reamed out to 1.350 for
the bigger shafts. You might want to check and make sure Superwinch makes a 30 spline hub for your Jeep.
I don`t think they do, I believe the 30 spline axel and hub conversion is propriatary to Warn, I could be
wrong. Personally, I would stay 27 spline and save the money. I`ve never seen a stub axel broken
anywhere but at the yoke. Thats the weak spot. Going with the better Warn axels with the full
circle clips though would move the "Weak spot", out to the hub. I think I see an internal spline hub
upgrade in your future also.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 05:51 PM
Enthusiast

I would advise against putting that money into a cj d30. The shafts will be strong but you still have that weak little ring and pinion. 4.88 gears are just waiting to let go before the hubs will. Now if you had a yj axle it might be worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 06:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you're serious about the upgrade, which I think is a rational one, you may want to get in touch with me. I recently had to go to high steer fullsize D44 knuckles and have the Warn internal spline conversion with new rotors, calipers and pads, the Warn outer shafts, and for that matter, knuckles with new ball joints. Everything (except the stub shafts) has less than 100 street miles. I was going to put it all on ebay, but if you're interested in any or all of it, email me and maybe we can both come out ahead. Thanks. [email protected]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 08:03 PM
Keyboard Implanted

your logic is [img]images/graemlins/lame.jpg[/img]

may i ask why you want to waste that money on a d30.... for half of it.. you could swap in a d44.... and you wouldnt need all that hi dollar bs.....
those are my thoughts and im stickin to them.. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

jeepgod,

I'm all ears, let me know how I can do it for 1/2 the price.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 09:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yup, I love the anti 30 argument as well... I think it is [img]images/graemlins/lame.jpg[/img]

I don't know where these people can find dana 44s so cheap... can you please tell me? I just called the local junkyard and they want $400 for a front 44 complete. when I asked about "just the housing" they said around $200. And if you are going to have in narrowed around here in the Bay Area, labor runs $60-80 an hour. So unless you own your own fab stuff it is gonna get expensive! For some people fixing up the 30 is an olnly option when you are on a budget.

But don't get me wrong, I know my 30 is just temporary. I would much rather put my money into a 44 if anyone has one they want to sell me for less than my local yard does.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 09:41 PM

Yea, I hear ya. I just installed the Superior "Big joint" axles in my widetrack D30. CJ-5 AMC 360, with 4.10's. D30 has held up well 'till now. The only part I snap on occasion is the long side(driver side) shaft u-joint. I could not justify the cost of Swapping a D44 either. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 09:03 AM
Keyboard Implanted

i must live in heaven... i can get front and rear axles from a wagoneer.. $300 for both... new rims... and a steering solution is all you would need... and you would have two better axles... of course later on down the road some gears also.. since they usually have crappy ones in them..
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 09:19 AM
Enthusiast

Sets of waggy or scout axles go from $300-500 over here. But you can buy 6 lug chevy dana 44s or 10 bolts for $100 all day. Dodge ones are even cheaper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode