Question for Weber carb users. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 03:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Question for Weber carb users.

I have been through a Purolator and a NAPA fuel pressure regulator in the past few months. They both have spewed gasoline over my engine luckly without a fire. What are you using? I know there has to be a low pressure reg. out there somewhere. I really like the Weber, but the prospects of burning my Jeep won't cut it. Thanks!
Pepper [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 04:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Question for Weber carb users.

I'm using a Purolator that hasn't started acting up yet (knocking on wood). There is also one from Spectre sold at Auto Zones. They're all pretty cheap looking $20 parts. I haven't found any more expensive/higher quality fpr's that operate at the low psi that the Weber requires. Sorry I couldn't be of any help.

Michael
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 04:17 PM
Addict

I'm using a Mr. Gasket fuel pressure regulator. Works great, no leaks.

Find it here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 04:26 PM
Old Hand

I've been using the Purolator for a year and no problems. I think if you went through 2 regulators that quickly that it might be something else.
Maybe your fuel pump is on steroids and putting out a ton of pressure. Not uncommon for the fuel pump to put out a lot of pressure. Also, where did the 2 pumps leak? At a connection to a hose or did the pump fail somewhere else?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 05:38 PM
Addict

would it be possible to do a 2 stage regulator setup? that is, put a holley reg midway up the framerail to step it down to 10 or 7 or something, then put a purolator or napa right before the carb? that way the low pressure reg wouldnt be so stressed.

just my .02
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 06:57 PM
VirginiaJeeper

Am I missing something important in my Weber install? I'm not running a fuel pressure regulator, just a line from the factory fuel pump to a filter to the Weber. With the TR & MSD modifications to the ignition the old 258 does it's best impression of a V-8 when I dump the throttle and it idles fine along the trail. It has stalled out a few times on inclines - would the FPR help with that?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 08:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It sure would. Having a fuel pressure regulator set to 2.5 to 3.0 psi should improve drivability even more, and will keep the rebuild-monster at bay a lot longer. Dialing it down 2.0 psi greatly improves off-road performance. Also, for aggressive off-roading, float drop should be limited to 44 .5 mm max drop.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 09:35 PM

Are you using thread sealant on the in/out nozzles? I have a Napa regulator also, and it leaked until I took the nozzles out and spread some sealant on them. Hasn't leaked since. If you have a mechanical fuel pump, it's only putting out 4-5 psi, so I doubt that's a problem for your regulator. Hope this helps. [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 11:12 PM
Keyboard Implanted

More than likely if you are using a Purlator style regulator and blowing fuel out of them , the input pressure is too high . They are only designed for 10psi input or less, and work better in the 5-7psi range of input . Any dial type , no matter who's name is on it , is made by Purlator . I just found out today that they also had a problem with some of them blowing fuel out , and the price on them just went up . Napa seems to have dropped them from their product line , they are showing up in the new books as obsolete and the dealers are sending them back . You could make up a two-stage system with the Holley style reg's , although it may have problems keeping the pressure steady since the two diaphrams may fight each other, I've never tried it myself yet . Holley does make a low pressure type, but they are expensive and a special order at that , I'll look and see if I have a part number , maybe Summit or Jeg's can get them . The float can be lowered and limited to 10mm of total travel to help with inclines, and the top section's bowl vent can be closed off and tubed to keep it from flooding on hills . I usually set them up with the bowl in the rear so that if they do have a problem , it's on the downhill slope and won't get you in trouble by stalling out going uphill . Hope this helps,
Sarge
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 11:32 PM
tkcomer

Is anybody using the fuel return line? If I remember right, the fuel pump puts out 9 to 10 psi, but with the fuel return line it drops the psi to about 5 pounds. Iím running the NAPA fuel regulator with no problems for over a year now. It might go out tomorrow but I have had no problems with it yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode