v8 vs 6 cyl - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 12:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

v8 vs 6 cyl

im lookin to buy my first jeep. it will be a secondary vehicle used as a driver and off road. ive been lookin at older cj's. what are the pros and cons of the 304/350s vs the 6 cyl?

thanks
cory
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 12:36 PM
BigUgly

Re: v8 vs 6 cyl

How much stuff do you want to break? I have a 383 small block Chevy in my `62. The Comp Cam specs, state 420 lb of torque, with a 650cfm carb and headers. I don't drive it to its potential because I have not upgraded the driveshafts yet. Yes, I know that there are some out there that say it is one of the first things to do, but, I have been low on funds after the trans swap. Good luck on finding the right Jeep for you. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

TheBigUgly
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 01:02 PM

If the rig is going to see double duty (On and off road), There`s nothing wrong with a 6 cyl. choice. Better
gas milage and still good power/torque. Horsepower argueably, Really comes into play for mud bogging and
dune running. Generally, The key element to most off-roading is the ability of the vehicle to get traction.
Traction has everything to do with suspension and ground clearance, And not generally horsepower. In the
end, Your the only one who really knows what you want/need. BTW, If your looking at Jeeps with V-8`s
swapped in, Be carefull and check the rest of the running gear, Mainly the transmissions. When I went
looking for my second Jeep I looked at 2 with Chevy 350 swaps that had car, Not truck, four speeds
behind the motor. Your much better off with a truck 4 or 5 speed for strength and durability mainly,
And also the better gear ratio`s for off-roading. Take your time and look around, And ask more
questions if you need to. Good luck on your hunt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 01:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

it will probly mostly be driven on road, but will not be a primary vehicle. i do want enought hp/torque to do some wheelin tho. just didnt know how the 6 compared.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 01:22 PM

Can you be more specific as to what you mean by compared? You are potentialy talking about alot
of variables.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 01:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i meant as far as ability to climb hills, rocks, get thru mud. that sort of thing.

cory
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 01:39 PM

the inline 6 used in those CJs is a great engine for offroad, its very torqey.

and it gets better economy on the road.

BUT if youv ever driven a CJ with a V8 in the summertime topless, you wont have anything but a V8..its FUN

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 02:05 PM

Hills, Rocks, A six would be fine. But like I said before, Sand and mud are usually horsepower country. I
also have to add that I`ve never owned a Jeep with a six. My first Jeep(`73 CJ5), Had a 304. It always
did very well, Sand, Mud, Whatever. My present Jeep(`72 CJ5), Has a 401 with double the H/P of the
304. Like Ozarkjeep said, Lots of fun, On-road and off.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 02:16 PM
Keyboard Implanted

When ever I see this question I always have to ask myself why did I choose the V8?

That's easy, I didn't pick it because it's a better engine, It's not, they are both great engines, with there own inherent problems, It's not because of gas milage, from what I understand, they are pretty close when comparing mpg's, Hey come on they are both carburated.

What it all boils down to is the sound of the exhaust! If you ask me, a CJ is suppose to have a V8 based soley on the sound alone [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]. But when it comes to performance, a 304 and a 258, they are both gonna get you from A to B be it over asphalt, thru mud, across rocks, or up a hill.

I just like the rumble of my 304 and the pissed off look of the greenies out there bitchin' about gas guzzlers as they sniff my tail pipes[img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 09:50 PM

The extra HP of a V8 is nice on the road. But if you really want to impress anyone off road, the only thing that matter is that its fuel injected.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode