gauge covers for YJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 08:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

gauge covers for YJ

I saw some nice white gauge covers on the net for YJ. I think it's much cheaper to DIY, not to mention endless possibilities of personalizing them.
Anybody know if there is a post or something somewhere on the net where I could get measurements of those? If not, I'll have to take all the gauges apart, take some photos & measures etc... Or is there another way?

The idea is to put them in AutoCAD, exact outlines, holes etc and then those can be exported to any graphic file type. Add Photoshop & some graphics, and it could be a blast! For almost to nothing of the cost.
Printing would be with a laser (or color-laser) on a white plastic (like those used for projections, only not transparent but white... red... blue... yellow).

Anyway, if I do it, I'll put those templates on-line.

But I still need some measurements...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 11:13 AM

Re: gauge covers for YJ

I've been considering the same thing after I saw the yellow ones. If I get to it first, I'll share the info too.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 11:32 PM
scubajeep93

i actually bought a set of the white guage covers on ebay, and when i got them they were cheap paper printouts....so i sent them back. when they were lit at night, the numbers were all fuzzy and guages were hard to read b/c things didnt line up quite right. They looked great in the daytime though. If you can make them out of a transparent plastic, i think you'll really be on to something......i would have kept them had they not been paper. Seems kinda silly to make something for a open top vehicle out of paper.

good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 12:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hmmm... You wouldn't happen to have those still around, would you? That'd be a great way to get the exact measures!

PLEEEEASEEEE, tell me that you still have them??
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 12:44 AM
scubajeep93

nope, sorry....i sent them back b/c i wasnt happy with them. if you do get the measurements and make them out of plastic, make sure its really flexible.....its gotta be to go over the gauge needles.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 01:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, I guess I'll have to put my YJ apart...
I've read some oppinions of the people who bought & installed those covers. Most of them managed to put'em on without removing pointers. As for the plastic, it'll be transparencies that are used for printing, for presentations (for those old-type beamers, where you put the transparency over the lamp and it projects it to the wall), only it won't be transparent but white (red, blue, yellow...). Plus a black printout (or green, red, blue, yellow...)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 01:43 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I saw some nice white gauge covers on the net for YJ

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did you see those? if they were from jeepwhitegauges then stay away from them !!!
I got them, installed them (without removing pointers) ... loved the day time look.... but at night you can't read SH*T!!!.... I wrote the guy making them and gave him a piece of my mind!!! [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 02:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
but at night you can't read SH*T!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you mean, why couldn't you read anything?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 05:00 PM

Because the numbers and lines don't align..... so it makes it all look fuzzy.... like going crossed eyed after heavy drinking.... he made it on purpose to let light through.....

Where the ones u saw from the same source as well?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 10:24 PM

I would think that perhaps a nontransparent version would be better. I have a bunch of these super bright blue LED's that I used to shine on my current black guages... SWEEEEET! I couldn't imagine how nice it would be for the white guages. Creativity is a must when finding discreet ways to utilize and mount these LED's but there are a veritable plethora of ways to do it. I drilled straight through the side of my guage with a 1/4 drill bit and tried that but ended up using a small bezel and aiming the led upwards and away from me toward the guage illuminating the entire face of the guage with one LED. Seven guages... Seven LED's. When I complete the entire set I'll try and send a pic. [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode