MSD 6 Offroad - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 08:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

MSD 6 Offroad

Alright....i know some of you guys are running the MSD 6 Offroad ignition. I just got mine yesterday in the mail from Summit. I also got the MSD billet distributor, and high vibration coil, as well as MSD 8.5 mm plug wires. Do you guys that run this ignition like it??? I'm hoping it is going to be a great upgrade. It better be for as much as i paid for it. Let me know what you guys think about this. thanks

Luke [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 10:01 AM

Re: MSD 6 Offroad

I run pretty much the same thing. I went with the 6 digital over the offroad, since the Offroad is not servicable, if there is a problem.

If you bought the round "can" coil that mounts on the block, I would send it back and get the e-core coil. Summit part number MSD-8207 $35.95. They don't mount on the block, so they live longer away from the heat.

Also run the distributor, it's a decent upgrade, and you can do a lot with the different springs and centrifugal advance. But be aware, you will NOT be able to find a cap/rotor for it at a local parts store. My research showed that they are custom cap/rotors, so buy a spare set, just in case. If anybody has found something different, I would greatly appreciate a correction including part numbers or application....

Overall, it's a good ignition upgrade, see my writeup here:
Clicky....
[img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 05:17 PM
Addict

as far as the cap/rotor, when i did the tfi upgrade on my jeep's 6 cyl, the cap an rotor i got seemed to be the same as the msd on my truck, same material, same mfr mold, same color. could be that the parts for 8 cyl tfi would match msd distributors?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 09:23 PM

I have been using the MSD OffRoad on my AMC 360 for three years now. I have it hooked up to a Converted GM HEI coil in cap distributor. No problems, better gas milage and plugs are spotless, completely white when checked. [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 09:50 PM

I found an e-core style coil in the back of my Jeg's catalog that has a bracket included so you can mount it to your fender. (similar to the "Juicebox" on ebay) Jegs Part # is 270-730-0091, (Crane Cams Fireball PS91).
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2003, 12:51 PM
Enthusiast

I installed an MSD 6 offroad, MSD dist, and coil into my buddies' '76 CJ-7 with 304 V-8. It started right up, then the box went up in white smoke! I shut it down, and double checked the wiring, and it was all good. I called MSD and they said, "Oh, bad box. Send it back". Summit mailed another out right away and took back the defective one. With the new box, runs perfect. I would still recommend MSD products. Much better than my track record with Mallory...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2003, 11:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The canister coil bracket found on AMC motors is very easy to adapt to accept a TFI(e-coil), just cut the bracket a little and drill some new holes and your set... I would most definately recommend the MSD setup, one thing about the MSD distributors though... they don't have a vaccum advance, so if thats something you can live without go for it. Personally I upgraded to a motorcraft unit with a base adapter and large style cap and rotor. Unless you plan on running your AMC motor above 5-6 grand for extended periods of time a motorcraft unit will do everything you need for much less.... At least thats my opinion. Kornchild
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2003, 09:39 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
one thing about the MSD distributors though... they don't have a vaccum advance, so if thats something you can live without go for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true. The one I have for my 258 has both vacuum and centrifugal advances. Now they DO make provisions for you to REMOVE them if you do not wish to run a vacuum advance, but every one I have seen ships with a vacuum advance on the housing.

Would be happy to post pics if you are skeptical.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2003, 11:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I WOULD LIKE TO SEE SOME PICS OF YOUR MSD SETUP UNDER YOUR HOOD.. i'D LIKE TO GET AN IDEA OF WHERE TO MOUNT THE UNIT ITSELF, AND JUST TO SEE YOU JEEP!! THANKS..

[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2003, 01:00 PM

Unfortunately materials under my hood are VERY sparse at the moment. The CJ is undergoing a MASSIVE upgrade at the moment. For more details and some pics, check here:

Southern Jeeps Forum

For pre-op pictures, you can see here:
Electrical clicky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode