YJ / '79 F250 Axles, feasible swap? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 03:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

YJ / \'79 F250 Axles, feasible swap?

I have a few YJs around (4 as of this time, I buy/fix/sell them for fun and prophet!) I'm taking the 4:11 axles out of my "parts" '92 4 banger and putting them in my '92 6/5spd driver while I install a R.E. 3.5/4" lift. I'm thinkin' 'bout building the remnants into a "Cheep Jeep" toy. I have a Chevy 400 sb/700r4 collecting dust in the shop and a '79 F250 with a 205np (too big to fit I hear) but It has a hi pinion 44 in the front and the spring perches SEEM to be in the right place for a SOA. The 60 rear should only need weld-on perches. Im a A&P (aircraft) Mechanic and fix Light rail (subway) trains for a living, so I know how to build toys. MY QUESTION IS: Has anyone out there done (or know anyone who has) this swap. And if so, what kind of B.S. can I expect. Thanks A LOT! (newdudehere!) Gary [img]images/graemlins/scs.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 06:33 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: YJ / \'79 F250 Axles, feasible swap?

The swap you speak of would make a pretty strong jeep. The NP 205 is a Huge Trasfer case, but is it also one of the strongest you find.
The axels will work, A D44 front, and 60 rear, are just about perfect in my little brain. But in your talk of swapping them you didn't say anything about making them any shorter. In their stock form they will be a lot longer than the YJ axels. They stock YJ axels are 60 inches WMS to WMS. The full size ford are somewhere around 70-74. If this would be a trail only Jeep that wouldn't be a huge deal, but unless you were running HUGE tires it would be pretty odd looking.

Oh yeah, I forgot to say welcom to the greatest short wheel base Jeep forum on the net.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 03:39 PM

I seen a picture of the swaped in axles,and they ran 35-12.50-16.5 general grabbers on 8.25" wheels with a 6"fender flair looked like it wound pass for on road driving. I found it on some web site last winter. The tires will stick out a little,looked like a YJ with 31's on it and stock flairs. I would build the jeep and have fun with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 06:04 PM
Enthusiast

The axle will work good. The ford 205 will not bolt to the chevy tranny. If the ford has a manual tranny it will bolt to the chevy engine with a bellhousing from a gm151 in a cj. You could always stretch the wheel base but I think it will work.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 07:04 PM

HMM IM PUTTIN A D60 FRONT AND 70 REAR UNDER MYJEEP NOW.. ITS FROM A 79 FORD 1 TON.. SO YEAH IT CAN BE DONE ILL TAKE PICS SOON..

PAYTON [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 11:19 PM
scubajeep93

have a 79 F250 44 in my YJ, its very feasible...the driver side tube was shortened to match original track width.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 02:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey, thanks a lot guys!! I feel since I buy and sell Jeeps on the side(last year 10 C&YJs, 2 TJs and about 7 or so X,M&ZJs from dealer trades in the Wash D.C. area), I better have a toy that I can hammer on and make it from point "B" back to "A" without walking. I LOVE my "daily driver" '97 'T but I seem to be bouncing the poor 'lil 4 banger off the rev limiter more than I like to. I have someone that says says shes loves it so it's going to a better home. I need something between that and my M715 with a 401 AMC and 38.5 swamps. (yea, it LOOKS cool, but finding parts are a bitch, it has NO flex and its HUGE, IT DON'T FIT ON LOCAL TRAILS!) So as far as that goes, "Look out what you wish for....". Anyway.... Will the axle "bolt up" to the springs, how about pinion angle/shims? If I need to I can cut/respline them. Any more hints and photos wil be GREAT. If you need it my E-dress is [email protected] Someone just called and wants to buy the body but I have a '95 Sahara w/a bad rear. Im thinking about bolting in either the new 4:1 241 or a Atlas with the axles for now and then later on when the 6 goes terminal do the V8/auto swap. The final thing Would be to take it to a shop and get some coils and a little more wheelbase. The GOOD thing about my situation is that I can put a "Dealer" tag on it and hit the streets. Thanks again, Gary [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 09:58 AM
scubajeep93

here's my F250 front axle. the spring mounts will have to be moved, but simple enough....the tough part is the dside of the pumpkin has to be machined (ground) a bit for the perch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1031346-SJhisteer2small.jpg (95.5 KB, 27 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode