I am shifting too low? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 01:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am shifting too low?

City ride. Stock YJ.
I shift gears at some 2000 rpm, sometimes a bit higher, but I never go over 2500 rpm.
Is it too low? I'm trying to shift as low as possible (MPG!) but NOT too low. But where's the limit, where should I shift?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 02:53 AM

Re: I am shifting too low?

That's about what I do..

Never take the engine abover 3000 when its in gear. I can blip the throttle up that high, and hold it, but not on the road. Doesn't feel right.

I didn't know there was a problem with shifting low.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 03:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you're too low on rpm, engine shakes, vibrates, wants to shut down. Like shifting in 3rd gear and trying to start moving without using the gas pedal - impossible.
When I shift, gears basically drop my rpm for some 1000 rpm down, meaning that when I shift @ 2000 from 2nd to 3rd, I get the engine running at 1000rpm, maybe something more. That's a bit too low - that's what I'm worried about. Then the combustion isn't right, then engine chokes.
If I got the theory right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 06:23 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Unless your motor is actually stalling, then you are fine. I have to shift at 1000rpms all the way up into 3rd. I start in 1st. Get it rolling rpms up around 2K. Then I push in the clutch, I have to wait for the RPMs to come down to about 1K then into second. The motor does bog down a little. Once up to speed in second up around 2200 RMPs in goes the clutch again, I have to wait for the motor to drop to about 1K and then into 3rd.
I can get into 4th and 5th however I want to. The reason I have to do this is because the transmission grinds like mad if I don't. It is in serious need of a rebuild. I have been shifing like this for a while, and I have no ill effects.
As I am slowing down and down shifting, sometimes when going from 4th the 3rd I have to blip the throtle so that the transmission will go down into 3rd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode