89 wrangler? $3000? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 10:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

89 wrangler? $3000?

I am currently in the market for a used jeep...would prefer a 80ish cj-7 but have been looking for one for some time and all I can find are two kinds
1. the ass end of someone else's hard times....

2. the beauty of someones hard work and a heavy addition to their bank account.....

Today I ran up on a 89 wrangler pretty much in the shape and price range that I want....$3000.....All I want is something to go fishing in on the coast of NC and ride around in the sun with the top off in nice weather....this 89 has the 238 six five speed with high miles but it seems to run very quietly and has little or no modifications done to it......this is nice since I can do some to it myself the way I want it.....what are the things to look for in this model.....Also it has no locking hub.....can I add them on to this model? how does the front hubs lock now with no visible hubs.....it looks just like a two wheel drive vehicle.......rather long sorry!!!!!!!! [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 10:53 PM

Re: 89 wrangler? $3000?

The manual transmission in that vehicle is most likely the POS Peugot BA-10. I hated mine, wasted mine, and replaced mine. The engine's a 258 not a 238. The front axle has a long-axle vacuum-disconect that I actually like. You can use a simple 3-port vacuum switch to take control of this from inside the cab, and it's fairly reliable.

With just 31" tires, open differentials, and without abusing the vehichle, it could be a good buy. Save up for an AX-15 to eventually replace that BA-10 though. It's cheaper to replace than rebuild, and it'll eventually go out on you.

Since '89 is a bit of a crossover year it could already have the AX-15 in it. Look under the Jeep at the transmission. If it has a seem running along the bottom of it where the two halves (left and right) join together- its the BA-10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode