Jeep Dealer Trouble - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 07:23 PM
wj1

Jeep Dealer Trouble

Well everyone I have posted in the past that my 95 wrangler 2.5L was making a knock/tapping noise when cold and at idle. Some times it would sound like a diesel. When it warmed up to temp every thing was ok. No loss of power and it ran great. When I would shut it down for about an hour and start it up the noise would be there but not as loud and would go away. I took it to the jeep dealer service center and they told me that I had bad wrist pins, connecting rod bearings, main bearings and that the engine needed to be completly overhauled. I took it to a good NON Dealer shop and they told me that it sounded like lifter problems. I did one of those gunk 5 min engine flushes and while it was running with the flush in it the noise went away. I dropped the pan after I drained it and there was maybe 2-3 very very small metal flakes in the bottom but that was it there was no sludge or residue build up. I put a fresh pan gasket on and cleaned out the pan and installed it. I also put a new filter, oil and some lucas oil treatment in it. I started it up and it ran fine. I then waited for about 4 hours and started it again and the noise was there that sounded like someone tapping on the distributer side of the engine. The noise was coming and going with no rythem to it. After it warmed up it was gone and I had a smooth engine. I am confused and am about to just have the lifters, pushrods and rocker arms replaced.

Sorry I cant spell to save myself and thanx for reading this

Wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 07:27 PM
Old Hand

Re: Jeep Dealer Trouble

Pull a couple of rod and main bearings and see what you got.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 08:13 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Re: Jeep Dealer Trouble

Mine did that for about 6 years, would have still been doing it for more years if a blown head gasket hadn't sucked water into a cylinder and tried to compress it. Oops.

I wouldn't worry about it. If you want to confirm it's a lifter, remove the valve cover and press down on each rocker arm with the handle of a hammer on the push rod side. When you get the right one, it'll quiet down.

Quiz: Explain exactly what surfaces are making the noise and why exactly it does it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode