TR's alternator wiring diagram w great success! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

TR\'s alternator wiring diagram w great success!

Just wanted to draw more attention to the old posts about how to wire up a Delco alternator.

Link to TR thread

Someone drew my attention to it a couple of weeks ago regarding delco alternator wiring.

I followed the instructions and must report back that it works with great success. The alternator now maintains the wiring harness at regulated voltage regardless of how much current the accessories consume (unless it is at idle and the accessories draw more than the alternator can generate). Previously, as I turned on headlights, two heater fans, etc, the voltage on the harness dropped, as voltage was being regulated at the alternator to battery connection, instead of at the loaded end. And here I thought there was something wrong with my alternator. It's just the way the factory wires it up, doesn't compensate to the accessories for load, as it regulates battery voltage, not wiring harness voltage. And the idiot light is not a bad idea either in conjuction with a voltmeter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 04:05 PM
brendan

Re: TR\'s alternator wiring diagram w great success!

2 questions:

1. I'd like to hear a horn that needs a Relay! Is this lead just any switched +12 wire from the fuse block?

2. What is the function of the "A" terminal? It grounds to light the idiot light, correct? In what situation does it ground?

Thanks, Tim. Maybe just point me at another thread?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Wiring Jpg

The thick red wire with a white stripe coming out of the harness connector on the firewall has ignition switched 12v power. This can be used for both powering the idiot light and the alternator sense line (B). Run two wires off it. One 12 gauge to the alternator, another lighter gauge wire behind the dash for the idiot light. The other side of the idiot light then runs to the alternator exiter terminal. Don't use a grounded bulb. Buy an indicator light that has two terminals.

The idiot light comes on when the ignition is turned on, but the alternator is not operating. It will remain on if the alternator fails to charge and (apparently) will blink if there are rectification problems. It goes off once the alternator begins charging and producing output. It serves as both an indicator of a charging problem and the needed resistance to the alternator excitor input. The factory wiring on my 84 has a brown solid resistance wire running from the harness to the alternator.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Essentially, "A" turns the alternator on and off (and needs to be a source of switched 12v thru a resistance wire or idiot light) and "B" is the input to the regulator, and where you hook it up determines where the voltage is referenced from.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 04:24 PM
brendan

OK, Thanks Tim. I have the resistance wire as well. I was wondering how that figured into the equation. I may do this in the next few days(layoff) since I have not yet got my voltmeter.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 04:38 PM

I don't mind giving kudos to the individuals responsible for this information. I wired it verbatum in my 87 YJ 4.2. and after running 60 feet of 2 guage ground cable to a multitude of different points in my Jeep I am FINALLY running 14.9 volts steady. I was replacing batteries yearly and my lights would flicker when using anything(stereo, heater, turn signals, etc.), and now my gas guage works, my lights have never been brighter. Props to Team Rush. [img]images/graemlins/goodpost.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 07:17 PM
Old Hand

Why not just convert it to a one wire alternator and not worry about anything else? [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 07:50 AM
Can't Get Enough

From what I understand the 1 wire alt. won't charge very well at idle rpms.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

The one wire alternator samples voltage internally, that's just what I am getting away from. By running the sense wire out of the alternator and into the main harness where voltage drops due to load, you get regulated voltage at that point. A one wire alternator can't sense voltage drop thru the wiring. That shouldn't be a problem, but automotive wiring is light duty and with fusable links, a voltage drop is certain.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 05:44 PM

I just did my Delco! Thanks for the reminder Tim!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode