Anyone know a write up on J 10 t-18 into CJ... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Anyone know a write up on J 10 t-18 into CJ...

Seems like there use to be an article on ORC about putting a J-10 T-18 into a CJ. But now the only articles are Ford into CJ and Cj into CJ.

OR, does anyone happen to hae a CJ T-18a for sale [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I'm tired of mt T-150 and pissed that I missed out on a CJ t-18 on Ebay this past weekend. So I'm trying to figure out my options on getting another tranny under my CJ5 with out getting hosed on Adapters and all kinds of other work to do so. Any info or suggestion greatly appreciated.... Remember CJ5, not much room to work with here...

Hell, I'm up for swapping Ford T-18 guts into a Scout T-18 if someone can point me in the direction of a scout T-18...

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 02:47 PM

Re: Anyone know a write up on J 10 t-18 into CJ...

im doing that, 1979J10 T18 from a V8 long input shaft, into a 77CJ5 with amc360.

removed input shaft, bought used Ford input shaft. I gave $43 for the used shaft and special adapted pilot bushing, i retrospect I should have bought an entire FORD trans for $100 for the other spare parts.

you can reuse the T150 bellhousing, youll need a specail stud or a bolt thingy, but the stud works better.

IM going Hyd clutch also.

and a rebuild kit for T18 is $100, mine needed afront bearing, and bearing alone was $50...soo entire kit!

you have to dissasseble to remove inpout shaft, not hard, but a manual is very useful.

any more ?? fire away.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks Ozark

Funny, Everytime I ask about doing this or that to my CJ, you're either in the process of doing the same or you just did it! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 03:53 PM

well, youve probably gathered that my work pace is like a snail with a valium habit.

Ive been "doing" this T18 swap for about 2 years now.

I DO have all the parts, and the trans is apart, just havent re-assembled it yet!

good luck finding even Jtruck T18 tho, I lucked into this one, the guy didnt realize it was a good trans, I gave $100 for it, but I did have to pull it!

no sweat, me and a bro, and a few beers, out she fell!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 04:18 PM
BigUgly

I got my T18 out of a J-4000, and yes it had a long input shaft. I ordered up the Advance Adapters' kit to convert to a Chevy bellhousing. Have you checked 1st gear by rotating the input shaft and watch the output? Mine has the 6.32 first gear. The next thing to do is check the input shaft gear, unbolt the the shift tower and if it has 17 teeth on it you can use an AA kit to shorten it up. As for the Tcase what are going to use? For my D18 I had to grind the upper rear corner on the passenger side to clear the shifter for the D18. I used the stock adapter on the back of the trans, this was going to a D20 Tcase. It was about 1" thick and fit the large hole D18, I had a small hole case. I pulled the gears out and inserted them into a D20 case and back together it went. The drivetrain was moved back about 2" from the bellhousing back, I had a jumping out of second gear T90. The last thing that I had to do was weld a piece of angle iron on the crossmember for the Tcase torque mount. I then found out that the top of the trans stuck out of the floor to high. I'm going to have to put a body lift of about two inches to put the floor back together. Oh, one more thing I found out, There are different shifter lengths. The distance from the trans side to the fulcrum ball. Watch out if you have somebody else rebuild your trans. The distances are 3.5" & 4". L8r,

TheBigUgly [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Ya, I thinkI found one actually. The local U-Pull-it has an FSJ Truck sitting in the yard. I was looking for something else at teh time, but couldn't help taking a gander at the shifter. It sure looked like a T-18 shifter to me!!! now it's a matter of getting the time to get back down there to get it!

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 08:29 AM
Mud in my Veins

Pick a night bro...I'll, ummm....hold the flashlight for you! [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 08:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

IF YOU WANT SOME GOOD INFORMATION ON THE J-10 T-18 TO CJ SWAP, check out jeepfan.com and look at his projects. There is a good write up about it in there. It's pretty helpful. Also, check out jeeptech.com. Two great websites for help.

[img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Dave, Do you you know if 109 U-pull-it has any jukyard dogs?? [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] If so, can you hold a Flash light and a 45 at the same time [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]

77CJ5BEAST, Jeeptech use to have a write up on this, but not anymore... Jeepfan is another I recall, but couldn't remember hwere I saw it... Thanks.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2003, 04:42 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Hey, I just did that conversion. Look at partsmike.net and go to the teck section. It has a step by step to converting and rebuilding the T-18. I used it to put a J-10 T-18 into my 1975 CJ-5 with a 304. It moves the transfer cast back about 1 and 1/4 inches. Also watch out for that front bearing, there is a 20mm and a 23mm. I pulled a 20mm out of the originol T-18 but my new, and shorter, ford shaft wanted a 23mm. I also had a slight floor pan adjustment, but not to much sawzalling. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode