OT- Cummins diesel swap into a FJ55 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

OT- Cummins diesel swap into a FJ55

I know this is a jeep board but I trust you all's large amounts of knoledge for much more then just problems with my CJ. A buddy of mine was recently given a 76 FJ55 landcruiser "Iron Pig". We have been planning a build up on it including bobing the body, a SOA, and an entire drivetrain swap. Our ultimate engin would be a dodge cummins diesel for the but loads of torque and nice sound. Since the cruiser is already so damn heavy we dont much care about the weight of the diesel. We are planning on trying to find a forest service diesel pickup at a government auction for hopefully a good pice. Then swapping the entire drivetrain over.

Anyone have any comments or ideas on this? Is it doable? What came stock in those big ugly green dodge ram diesels as far as axles and tranny and xcase? Would this be swapable into a cruiser? Anyone have a source for a government auction?

anything will help.

Thanks guys [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 01:38 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: OT- Cummins diesel swap into a FJ55

It can definately be done (has been), but I would suggest using the Cummins 4bt instead of the 6bt. The 6bt is the one in the Dodge pick-ups and is one heavy and big mutha, thats what I have in my Dodge tow rig.

The 4bt is the exact same engine minus two cylinders and I believe it has a stock HP of about 135 if I remember correctly,

But most all of the performance mods you can do to the 6bt can be done to the 4bt.

Go to the Turbo Diesel Register web page at this link TDR and go to their discussion forums.

There is a forum called coversions that has alot of good information. You can obtain the 4bt's from Frito Lay trucks and I think Fed Ex and UPS type trucks and they will mate to a chevy SM465 tranny, you would have to convert from there to your LC transfer case ....hope this helps

kerryp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode