wandering after lfit - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 12:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

wandering after lfit

Hi everyone. This is my first time on this board and I'm a relative beginner to jeeps, though I've owned a few four bys in the past. Anyway nice to meet you all and now to what is probably a stupid newbie question...

I've just had a 4 1/2" suspension lift installed on my 94 YJ and now it wanders all over the highway. It used to drive very nicely pre-lift. Question is: why does it do this and how can I fix it? A local shop suggests a shackle reversal but I don't know...

Any help for an ignorant newbie would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 12:15 PM

Re: wandering after lfit

Need more info-what kind of lift (brand) and how much of each?

Example Skyjacker 2" with 2" shackles. Shackles are the key to screwing up a good ride. Did you put on a shackle lift?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 12:29 PM

With a 4.5" lift did you get the dropped pitman arm? Did you install this or did a shop do it for you? Most times with a lift this high you will need to lenghten the drive shafts or use a dropped skid plate kit. The front pinion gets turned up causing the caster to decrease sometimes if shims are used to direct the pinion up for the driveshaft to keep it in line. We need a little more info what was used for the lift?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 01:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sorry about the lack of info. Its a Rubicon Express Extreme Duty 4 1/2" lift done by a shop. I assume (you know what they say about "assume") that is was done correctly. It looks correct to me but I'm obviously no expert.

Thanks again to everyone taking time to read.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 02:51 AM

Check:
1) steering stabilizer
2) steering linkages and components
3) steering knucles are often overlooked

u need a dropped pitman

A shackle reverse kit had also cured my wandering probs.

....my 2 cents
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 10:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks. A dropped pitman came with the suspension kit so I don't think that's it.

Hmmm...I'm taking it back the place that installed it on Friday for their opinion and I've contacted Rubicon Express. The rep there said he was surprised as he usually hears drivability improves instead of declines. He also gave his name and said to have the shop contact him if they have questions, so it's nice they're working with me on it instead of blowing it off.

I don't expect car like handling, but it is noticeably worse now than it was. Just something to work through, as often happens when you modify something. I will say this about the RE system though: it is a very nice ride for a lifted jeep, smoothness wise.

Thanks again for your response.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 10:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

BTW, desbuzz,

How do you like the shackle reversal and what have you noticed, good and bad since you did it? Did you get any additional ride height out of it?

Thanks.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 10:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

What size tires are you running. I assume the shop did a wheel alignment? Lower the tire psi a little at a time. I did that till my ride improved. I went from 34psi to 30 psi. The Jeep left the shop with new wheels, tires and aligment. I didn't like the drifting till I messed with the pressure. That's all it was for me. Good luck. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 11:56 AM

You may also want to check that they hooked the factory sway bar back up, that could cause the problem. You'll want to be able to quickly disconnect it when you go off-road.

There's a big debate over shackle reversals. There's been talk on this board about them in the past. I'd suggest doing a search on the subject. Personally I think a reversal makes a big difference in handling.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 12:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Right now its got the same 31x10.50's it had before. Soon as I get the wandering problem straightened out, I've got some 33x12.50 Swampers waiting in the garage that are going to go on it. Then, before long, some 4.56 or 4.88s and I'm thinking of a LockRight for the rear diff. I think a Detroit would be too severe for a daily driven/weekend trail rig of a Jeeps size and weight?

Yep, they aligned it when they did the suspension.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode