Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   engine cuts off when stopping (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/154587-engine-cuts-off-when-stopping.html)

surveyboy 02-17-2003 04:16 PM

engine cuts off when stopping

Hey all, well the strangest thing is happening. when I am driving down the freeway at 55 or so, and I get off the freeway and come to a stop, the jeep shuts down. now running rough, just quits. starts right back up and runs fine. idle for the most part is nice and smooth. I drilled out the ventrii's a lttle and solved the non-idle problem. however this started happening. basicly whenever you come down from high speed to stopping in a short distance it cuts off. if I can let it slowly slow down it doesn't seem to happen.
any thoughts??

BigUgly 02-17-2003 04:28 PM

Re: engine cuts off when stopping

I don't know if this is your case but, I had an old Nova with a inline six and it had a decelaration(?) solenoid on the carb that when the engine rev'ed then when closed throttle, it would ease the linkage back to idle. One day missing around the engine I disconnected it and went to the parts store and same thing happened to me. I reconnected it and everything was fine. I know some carbs use vacuum and some use electric lines to control them so look at the carb first. L8r,

TheBigUgly

YJOwnr22 02-17-2003 04:32 PM

Yeah the vac/electric solenoid that is mounted onto the carb bowl and interacts with a screw on your throttle lever....Check it. Make sure the vac actuated portion is set right... there's a good description of setting the idle for both the vac & electric parts of it somewhere on ORC.

Also, I had much the same problem, and it turned out to be the decelerator valve (is that what it's called? you only have this if you have a manual trans.) It had failed and my YJ would die at every sudden stop.

-pablo

surveyboy 02-17-2003 04:39 PM

cool thanks. I will start looking for that.

YJOwnr22 02-17-2003 04:50 PM

Surveyboy, here i found it.

surveyboy 02-17-2003 05:53 PM

*click* add to favorites *click*

thanks man