Throwing away all those wires ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 03:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Throwing away all those wires ?

Freshly rebuilt 258 with holley 4 bbl, clifford intake and exhaust. Several loose ends after re-install. I would like to know how much of this I can get rid of. Manifold heater, ECM, temp sender....etc.. I'm not really sure its all working anyway. Jeep runs well (read same) whether the Ignition control mod. is hooked up or not. I already junked most of the vacuum lines, so I was hoping to eliminate anything else I dont need.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 03:26 PM

Re: Throwing away all those wires ?

You can dooooo eeeeeetttttt!

Run about the same setup. Have about nine wires under the hood. If you're not running stock ignition, the ECM goes away, the vacuum lines go away, the O2 sensor goes away, etc.

Of course this is pending any kind of smog-check you may have to pass.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 03:30 PM

clicky to post where I did mine:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 03:40 PM
BigUgly

I'd have to agree with bluseman2a, keep everything until you've read the emission laws in your state. You might have to hook them all back up for one day each year so you can still drive it around. I know of a guy here in Colorado, that, had to search for all the old parts just so he could get the license plates, soo, once a year he swaps everything back on passes the test and pulls it all back off. [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img] But, thats what the state want and gets from him. L8r,

TheBigUgly [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 03:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I went in for the test last week and passed CO but failed HC by .005. The guy said if i would have warmed it up first i probably would have passed both. I think i'll lean it way out, warm er up good and try again. is it possible to pass without alot of that hooked up? I starting to think yes.

Mike
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 03:57 PM
BigUgly

Here in Colorado and I know in California, they do visual inspections under the hood and run a mirror under the car to check for the proper equipment. The even have a go- nogo gauge for the gas filler so you can't knock the, "Unleaded" restrictor out. I'd read the laws, because it will cost you more to replace them if you find you need them later. Stay warm,

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 04:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Good point! Thanks for the input, Now i've got a good excuse for all those boxes of "extra stuff" when my wife asks...

Mike
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 04:12 PM
BigUgly

Here's your fighting ammo for your wife, I looked at the Illinois epa emission test and found this, http://www.epa.state.il.us/air/vim/g...html#tampering [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]Use that on her and she'll let you keep alot of stuff in those boxes. L8r,,

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 06:50 PM

I'm worried about IL emissions the next time i go in. One idea my buddy gave me was to pull my d300 shifter (i have a d300 in my tj) and cover up the shifter hole and tell them it have full time 4x4 so they can't run it on the dyno and would just give me an idol sniffer. My buddy get's out of running his on the dyno because he has wide 36's and can't fit in the dyno. I'm still worried though, they might not like that my exhuast is rerouted and has some leaks and doesn't come out from under the vehicle (pretty hard to get the sniffer into my muffler where it's at now)/

BarrelRoll
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 06:57 PM
BigUgly

In Colorado if you have a locker or as they say,"traction control device," you only get it up the pipe. My friends `97 TJ has a locker and they won't roll it. So, tell them, "Hey I've got a Locker in ther rear." [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] Emission laws suck everywhere. That's why I'll keep my small block Chevy'ed `62 CJ5, its exempt from any tests until I sell it. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] L8r,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode