Trying to find an engine - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 03:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Trying to find an engine

Hiya,

Its been a while since I posted here and my project ('73 CJ5 restore) has started to lose some steam. But I really want to push to get this thing done!

I need to find a chevy 350 motor but I am kind of lost; I've never bought nor rebuilt an engine, and the process is somewhat mysterious to me. I think I want to stick with a crate motor, chevy 350 because it is so universal. I don't think I need a high performance engine, just something solid, reliable that performs well; this is not a big truck, just a 73 cj5. I think I am going to go with a TBI setup, but if I need to, I'll put a carb on it and do FI later.

What are some good sources for a crate motor like this? I have looked around online but am unsure. I'd really like to have a few websites to check out and compare. What are some things to stick to, questions to ask? (4-bolt? forged pistons, etc.?) I'd like to hear from those who have "been there, done that".

I am ALL ABOUT doing this project right the first time, but I'm not made of money [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img] I definitely want to learn from others' experiences.

(We decided to go with an sm465/np205 combo for transmission, and instead of keeping the original 304AMC and having to buy an adapter ($$), we decided to go w/ 350.)

P.S. what is a fair price to ask for a running 304V8/T-15/dana20 drivetrain, all bolted together?

THANKS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 03:22 PM
BigUgly

Re: Trying to find an engine

You can do what I did. Find a motor in a running car or boneyard as a core. There's a website with a lot of Chevy engine info http://www.nastyz28.com/decode.html then, disassemble it yourself, take the block to a local machine shop and have them check the dimensions, I had my block bored for a reasonable amount, I think I spent about $500.00 in the machining and new parts. Then, I mated it to a T18 with a AA kit. Happy hunting,

TheBigUgly [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 03:46 PM
RedSandDog

My $0.02 worth. Do the EFI when you do this engine, rather than retro fitting one in later. If you need to save some $, maybe look for a 305, they tend to be cheaper, as the kool factor is lower, but like you said, you don't need a HiPo motor. Local junk yards would be a good place to start, alot of them leave the engine in so you can see it run before it gets yanked out. make sure you get EVERYTHING. Wiring harness, computer, everything.

Another thing to think about is A/C. Alot of those Chevy V-8s are gonna have A/C compressors on em, of course I live in a hot climate, not a nice cool place like Atlanta. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Justa thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 04:07 PM
BigUgly

A/c in a Jeep? What up with that? I thought that a jeep's a/c was going down the road with the top down. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] L8r,

TheBigUgly [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 04:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would try summit racing... The website is summitracing.com Also, if that is too much $$$ I would try the junkyard for the engine you want (core charge), then take the engine to Autozone or PeP Boys and get a rebuilt Long-Block, I think prices are around 600.00 and up?

Good luck on the build-up [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 04:40 PM
Old Hand

I haven't been there and done it but I've heard that new GM goodwrench engines are cheaper than other new engines.. GM sells the engines they use in their vehicles to customers but you have to buy from a dealer. Here is the info from their website:

GM Goodwrench Engines

From this thread:
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

I got my Goodwrench 350 from Scoggins-Dickey in TX by mail-order. They had the best prices at the time (approx $1100), even when considering shipping charges. Bought it about 3-4 yrs ago, and have been very happy with the engine and Scoggin-Dickey.

[/ QUOTE ]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 05:47 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Pick up a local "trader" magazine. Some times called "penny pincher" or IWANT papers. But you a whole RUNNING car. You'll need extra parts/brackets. And can usually sell what you don't want.

Oh.. and I agree.... go EFI from the start, you don't wanna do things twice like I did.

Good luck!!!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 08:28 PM

Try the Atlanta Advertiser. Sometimes there are salvage vehicles. I use it to look for a 4.0, but I havent' found one yet, but a 350 or 305 would be easier to find I think. Good luck, if there is anything I can do in Athens, let me know.

Cecil
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 09:48 AM
RedSandDog

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I thought that a jeep's a/c was going down the road with the top down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not in Phoenix in August [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]

A lot of the old CJ's around here don't even go out July - Sept. Too friggin hot. The trails aren't so bad, but driving around on the streets is a killer, serious heat waves coming off the pavement.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 12:05 PM
Keyboard Implanted

A/C is nice in the north too, can be used for OBA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode